Woking 3-4 Bromley
Woking 3-4 Bromley

Bromley’s unbeaten run under new manager Andy Woodman continued with a remarkable late comeback at Kingfield Stadium on Tuesday night as they edged out Woking by 4 goals to 3, thanks to an own goal two minutes from time. 

Bromley made four changes to the team that beat Dagenham on Saturday with Jack Holland injured and Luke Coulson suspended, while Frankie Raymond and Ben Williamson dropped to the bench, with Liam Trotter, Courtney Duffus, Jude Arthurs and Charlie Wakefield coming in.

The Ravens started on top with Chris Bush’s long throws causing problems and they went in front on 3 minutes when Diarra’s foul on Wakefield saw Referee Masson-Ellis wave play on and the ball ran to Jack Bridge who took one touch and drove the ball low into the far corner from the edge of the box for 1-0.

Woking rallied from there with Robinson having a shot blocked by Joe Kizzi and then Kretzschmar then had a penalty shout waved away  as he went down under the challenge of Arthurs.

The Cards drew level on 17 minutes when Cooper sent in a deep free kick from the left that was knocked down by Cook into the path of Diarra who scored from six yards out.

Two minutes later Woking went in front when another great ball into the box from Cooper caught Mark Cousins in no mans land and Cook flicked his header home for 2-1.

Wakfield had one wayward effort for Bromley, but Woking dominated the play for long spells. Dempsey had a shot deflected wide by Michael Cheek and Cook put an effort just over as he pounced on a Kretzschmar knock down.

The half finished with play flowing from end to end, but with no real chances of note. 

The Cards started the second half pressing again, Diarra headed over, Cooper went close with a free kick and they had a series of corners, which Bromley defended well.

On a break The Ravens went close when Taylor Maloney crossed for Cheek, but he couldn’t quite get the right connection to the ball. Dalby & Diarra went close again for Woking, before Woodman threw caution to the wind and put three up front with James Alabi coming on.

With eleven minutes to go Bromley pulled level when Raymond sent in a deep cross into the area, which Duffus brought down for Cheek to drive home from ten yards out to make it 2-2.

Parity only lasted two minutes though as Robinson showed a cool head in the box to hold off the defence and play in Dalby who converted his chance from six yards out.

Woking’s lead only lasted a further two minutes before Bromley equalised again when Alabi picked up the ball 25 yards from goal and unleashed an unstoppable drive that crashed into the top right hand corner of the net for 3-3.

The game was now wide open and it was The Ravens who grabbed the initiative on 88 minutes when Raymond found Liam Vincent out wide and his dangerous low cross deflected into the net off the unfortunate Cook in the six yard box to put the visitors in front.

Kretzschmar had a header well saved by Cousins from a Cooper cross as Woking pressed, before Alabi was denied by a superb saving tackle from Lofthouse at the other end.

Bromley then managed to settle and run the clock down to secure an unlikely three points and take them to within one point of the play offs ahead of their trip to Chesterfield on Saturday lunchtime.                        

Woking: Ross, Cook, Casey, Kretzschmar, Diarra, Cooper, Ferdinand, Lofthouse, Dempsey (Skinner 71), Robinson, Dalby.

Subs Not Used: Evans, Hamblin, Loza, Hodges. 

Bromley: Cousins, Arthurs, Kizzi, Bush, Fox, Wakefield (Raymond 56), Trotter (Alabi 77) , Maloney (Vincent 65), Bridge, Cheek, Duffus.

Subs Not Used: Roberts, Williamson.

Goals: Woking – Diarra 17, Cook 21, Dalby 81mins. Bromley: Bridge 3, Cheek 79, Alabi 83, Cook OG 88mins.  

HT 2-1

FT 3-4 

Ref: Robert Massey-Ellis   

Picture supplied by Bromley Football Club.