Whitehawk 1-0 Sittingbourne
Whitehawk 1-0 Sittingbourne

This was yet another Sittingbourne display where they left their best play until the second half but it proved too little too late.

Whitehawk looked a good side and although the Brickies matched them for long periods the home side were wasteful at times when they looked to have good chances to increase their lead.

The game was marred by an injury to Chris Barnard who left the field on 25 minutes with what looked like a break in his arm, however it now appears that it is serious bruising.

Sittingbourne were second best in the first half and Whitehawk, currently third in the league but well in contention for the league title, had a chance to take the lead after just three minutes when Lucas Rodrigues just failed to connect with a good cross.

The Brickies first chance came in the 19th minute when Roman Campbell found Sid Sollis in the centre but Sollis fired over the bar. Two minutes later Jordan Perrin pulled of a brilliant diving save to foil Connor Tighe’s 35 yard block buster, the ball being turned round for a corner. From the corner the ball was kicked off the goal line. Then came the injury to Barnard with Ainsley Everett taking his place.

There was a warning for Sittingbourne when a good run from Rodrigues ended in him being dispossessed but the ball fell to Tighe who fired wide.

But on 33 minutes the ball was floated into the Brickies box into a crowd of players where Ahmed Abdullah was the first to react and he headed the ball into the Brickies goal to give the Hawks the lead. This definitely wasn’t a good sign for a Sittingbourne side who have struggled to recover when they go a goal down.

The Hawks had two more chances to increase their lead before the end of the half, firstly a snapshot by Charles Banya brought out another excellent save from Perrin then Fintan Walsh picked out Rodrigues in acres of space in the Brickies area but he sent his header wide.

To the Brickies credit they put up a much better fight of it in the second half and could have snatched an equaliser if the rub of the green had been in their favour.

On 57 minutes Cameron Brodie, who had his best game for the Brickies since joining, had a good shot well turned round by Hawks keeper James Broadbent.

The Hawks continued to have chances though and on 65 minutes Henry Muggeridge could have done better if he hadn’t slipped when presented with a good chance. Two minutes later a Hawks cross ended in the ball rattling the Brickies left hand post.

Sittingbourne had a free kick with six minutes to go which Campbell took, the ball rebounded off the Hawks wall and was promptly kicked back goal-wards by Campbell but again the effort was blocked.

Sittingbourne were now desperately looking for the equaliser and Kane Phillips, who had come on a substitute for Ikechi Eze, had a crashing shot turned round by Broadbent for a corner. 

The last throw of the dice fell to Campbell who was within a cats whisker of turning a crossed ball into the Hawks net but once again Sittingbourne had to settle for an odd goal defeat by a championship chasing side.

Whitehawk: James Broadbent, Fintan Walsh, Charles Banya, John Paul Kissock, Sinn’Kaye Christie, Marvin Hamilton, Lucas Rodrigues, Ahmed Abdullah, Henry Muggeridfge, Connor Tighe (33 mins), Duane Ofori-Acheampong (YellowW)), Dave Martin (Yellow)

Subs not used: Lewis Unwin, Mo Zabadne, Henry Blackmore, Jonny Elwood.

Sittingbourne: Jordan Perrin, Ben Fitchett, Chris Webber, Cameron Brodie, Lex Allan, Cory Walters-Wright (Yellow), Chris Barnard (Ainsley Everett (25mins), Ikechi Eze (Kane Phillip 63 mins) (Yellow)), Roman Campbell, Sid Sollis (Sam Stace 63 mins), Johan Caney-Bryan

Subs not used: Will Holder, Nigel Neita.

Referee: Andrea Connor