Weymouth 1-0 Welling United
Weymouth 1-0 Welling United

Ten men Welling United put in a brave effort but ultimately came home empty handed from their trip to Weymouth.

They were equal to the hosts for the first half an hour but then they were reduced to ten men when Connor Dymond was dismissed and paid the price when Brett Williams scored with fifteen minutes remaining.

It was tough on the Welling team who had worked their socks off to try and take home a hard earned point.

In the first minute Jake McCarthy fired over from Yemi Odubade’s scuffed corner but Welling were soon creating problems of their own when Joe Anderson found Joshua Oyinsan and he laid it off for Luke Rooney whose volley flew just wide.

Anthony Cook was blocked off and it appeared to be in the penalty area but the referee thought otherwise and awarded the free kick outside the area. Cook took the free kick himself but curled it just beyond the far post.

Andy Robinson intercepted a misplaced pass but shot straight at Dan Wilks from twenty five yards before Cook tried an audacious effort when spotting Calum Ward off his line only for it to fly just over.

Then Dymond made his indiscretions and everything changed. After being cautioned for a late tackle, he flew into a needless reckless, challenge by the touchline and was shown a second yellow card that could easily have been a straight red card. To bolster midfield, Mark Goldberg withdrew Oyinsan and brought on Montel Agyemang, a decision that didn’t please the departing striker.

Ollie Harfield struck a free kick straight at Wilks and both he and McCarthy were off target from long distance before the half time break.

After the interval Welling lined up in a deep lying four-four-one formation as they attempted to frustrate the hosts. Harfield cut in and tried an angled drive that Wilks turned over before Abdulai Baggie was just off target.

Wilks was almost caught out at his near post by Baggie but recovered well to make a good save then Calvin Brooks fired well over.

Harfield, Robinson and McCarthy all failed to keep long distance shots down before Welling defended bravely to make some crucial blocks, Wilks and Ejiro Okosieme throwing themselves in the path of close range efforts.

Finally, the Terras made the break through. McCarthy’s shot was saved brilliantly by Wilks but Williams was first to the rebound to force it home.

Jack Jebb was introduced with ten minutes remaining and had a shot deflected wide before taking the corner himself. Rob Swaine met it with a towering header that was blocked out. Okosieme’s follow up found its way to Agyemang whose cross was hooked just over by Gavin McCallum.

That was their last chance and Welling dropped to fifteenth in the league table as a result of the defeat.

Weymouth: Ward, Harfield, Zubar, Ainsworth (Williams 67), McCarthy, Thomson, Baggie, Odubade, Robinson (Wakefield 73), Brooks, Hobson. Subs not used: Rees, Wells, Murray.

Goalscorers: Williams (75)

Yellow cards: None

Red cards: None

Welling United: Wilks, Rich-Baghuelou, Anderson, Dymond, Swaine, Okosieme, Cook, Rooney (Jebb 80), Oyinsan (Agyemang 30), Coombes (Cosgrave 70), McCallum. Subs not used: Green, Prestedge.

Goalscorers: None

Yellow cards: Dymond

Red cards: Dymond

Referee: Ross Martin

Assistants: Samuel Fudge and Ryan Saward

Attendance: 1,034