Welling United 4-0 Hampton and Richmond Borough
Welling United 4-0 Hampton and Richmond Borough

After their Easter Monday disappointment Welling United bounced back with an excellent performance against Hampton and Richmond Borough.

Manager Steve King again rung the changes. Jack Jebb started his first game since mid-October and Jordan Gibbons his first since February.

Danny Mills had a header saved in the first minute but less than sixty seconds later Welling went ahead. Gavin McCallum’s first shot was blocked but after Jebb was unable to find a way through, McCallum’s angle had improved and he fired into the bottom corner.

Brendan Kiernan shot wide against his former club before Tom Lovelock got down well to save from Mo Bettamer.

Bettamer was in action again when his chip went wide of the far post before Ryan Hill and Craig Dundas fired over for Hampton from distance.

On thirty-four minutes Welling doubled their lead. Dan Wilks sent a long ball forward, Mills flicked it on and Kiernan held off his marker before rifling home.

Wilks was then called upon to save from Ruel Sotiriou before Lovelock did well to turn a Bettamer shot round the post.

At the break, Jebb was replaced by Julien Anau but Welling started the second half slowly. Casey MacLaren clipped the outside of the post before Anthony Acheampong got back brilliantly to tackle Sotiriou.

Once more Wilks saved from Sotiriou before Welling regained the initiative. Bettamer’s free kick was too hot for Lovelock but nobody was on hand to follow up and he was able to smother it.

Nassim L’Ghoul replaced Kiernan and gave Hampton new problems that they could only stop by foul means. Luke Ruddick was the first of four players to be booked for fouls on him.

Just under twenty minutes remained when Welling added their third. Gavin McCallum’s superb through ball picked out Bettamer and he controlled well before firing home.

The fourth goal was a little more fortuitous. McCallum let fly from thirty yards and it took a deflection off Rian Bray on its way to the bottom corner.

Thierry Audel headed back across goal but L’Ghoul fired over before the French winger had a shot saved.

Zak Joseph had one last chance but ever present Wilks made an excellent save to ensure he kept his fourteenth league clean sheet of the season.

Welling United: Wilks, Gibbons, Braham-Barrett, Jebb (Anau 46), Acheampong, Audel, Kiernan (L’Ghoul 65), Ijaha (Hill 55), Mills,  Bettamer, McCallum. Subs not used: Genovesi, Goldberg.

Hampton and Richmond Borough: Lovelock, Ruddick, Sprague (Wellard 75), Connors, Bray, Downer, Hill, MacLaren, Dundas (Crawford 66), Sotiriou (Dickson 55), Joseph. Subs not used: Miller-Rodney, Barrington.

Welling United:

Goalscorers: McCallum (2), Kiernan (34), Bettamer (71), Bray og (77)

Yellow cards: None

Red cards: None


Hampton and Richmond Borough:

Goalscorers: None

Yellow cards: Ruddick, Downer, MacLaren, Crawford, Joseph

Red cards: None


Referee: Ryan Atkin

Assistants: Alexander Emery and Greig Walker

Attendance: 505

Welling star man: Gavin McCallum

Images courtesy of Dave Budden