Welling United 2-0 Billericay Town
Welling United 2-0 Billericay Town

Following defeat one week earlier, Welling United rebounded in the best way possible with a one-sided victory over Billericay Town.

Pictures by Dave Budden

Adam Coombes put Welling ahead just shy of the hour mark and Anthony Cook’s penalty with five minutes remaining ensured that they claimed the three points.

Had it not been for a single handed rearguard performance by Billericay goalkeeper Alan Julian, Welling would have won by a much greater margin.

He was in action almost immediately when saving from Philip Roberts then Diaz Wright created a chance for himself but he was also thwarted by the Billericay custodian. It came out to Coombes who laid it off for Dipo Akinyemi but his shot was deflected over.

After a free kick was half cleared Roberts again let fly but Julian was equal to it before Cook twice came close, first when bringing another save out of Julian and then when his low cross was deflected on to the outside of the post and out.

Coombes hit a long shot that Julian bundled around the post unconvincingly before Akinyemi sent Roberts away but he was unable to lift it over the Billericay goalkeeper.

Rob Swaine nodded a Cook cross back into the danger area and at last Akinyemi managed to beat Julian only to see it come back off the inside of the post.

Connor Shields had a shot for Billericay just before the break but the fact that it went off for a throw summed up their day.

At the start of the second half, another good Welling move allowed Akinyemi to break away but his low shot was blocked out by Julian’s foot before the Wings opened the scoring. Cook was the provider and Coombes lost his marker and rose to head back across goal and inside the far post.

Gavin McCallum shot wide for Welling before Jamie O’Hara brought himself on along with Welling nemesis Jake Robinson. Joe Quigley had a header saved comfortably by Dan Wilks then Robinson had a great chance to level. He got in behind the Welling defence but Wilks rushed out and the Blues’ hit-man stroked it wide.

That was as close as Billericay got and Welling resumed their attacks with Chiori Johnson twisting and turning before getting a shot away that produced another brilliant save from Julian.

It took a penalty to beat Julian for a second time. Substitute Bradley Goldberg burst into the penalty area and was brought down by former Wing Michael Chambers. Although Julian went the right way, Cook’s penalty was too powerful and nestled into the bottom corner.

Swaine might have made it three when hooking the ball goalwards as he fell but Julian made another fantastic save.

His final save was a little more straight-forward when Korrey Henry tried to curl it round him but his shot was a little too straight.

Welling United: Wilks, Dymond, McCallum (Goldberg 79), James, Swaine, Wright, Roberts (Johnson 75), Agyemang, Akinyemi, Coombes (Henry 86), Cook

Subs not used: Krabbendam, Rolt.

Goalscorers: Coombes (58), Cook pen (85)

Billericay Town: Julian, Nunn (Robinson 70), Hudson (O’Hara 70), Paxman (Cole 54), Henry, Chambers, Shields, Potter, Loft, Quigley, Akinwande

Subs not used: Noel-Williams, Gillel

Referee: Robert Whitton

Attendance: 925