Welling United 0-3 Bath City
Welling United 0-3 Bath City

After two good results to start the season, Welling United were brought down to earth with a comprehensive defeat against Bath City.


Three first half goals left Welling with a mountain to climb and although they improved after the break, the damage had been done.

Whilst victory would have pushed the Wings into the play-off zone in the fledgling table, it’s very early days and the new team is still finding its feet.

Although Bradley Goldberg had a shot blocked for Welling, the visitors enjoyed the better of the early stages and it wasn’t against the run of play when they went ahead.

However, for Welling it was disappointing the way they went behind. Connor Riley-Lowe delivered a corner, there was little challenge when Joe Raynes flicked on and Alex Hartridge had the freedom of Park View Road to finish at the far post.

Looking for a quick response, Rob Swaine headed on a Luke Rooney free kick but Bradley Goldberg’s header was saved.

Tyler Harvey had a low shot saved by Dan Wilks before Welling had their one real chance. Another Rooney free kick picked out Adam Coombes but his header was tipped onto the bar and over by James Pardington on his debut for the Romans.

Soon after, Bath increased their lead. Rooney chased back when Andy Watkins burst clear then mistimed a challenge in the penalty area and brought his man down. Harvey stepped up and sent Wilks the wrong way from the spot.

Harvey headed over from Riley-Lowe’s deep cross before shooting straight at Wilks when well placed.

Just before the break, Bath added a third. Harvey pulled back from the bye-line and Tom Richards slotted home from the edge of the penalty area.

At the interval Mark Goldberg made a double substitution bringing on Dquame Copeland and Joshua Oyinsan for their Welling league debuts.

Adam Mann had an opportunity early in the second half but Wilks made a comfortable save before Oyinsan had a header saved from Sanchez Ming’s cross.

Pardington got himself in a pickle when fluffing a clearance to Goldberg but Bath were able to get players around him quickly to stop him from getting a shot away before the Bath loanee goalkeeper got back into his goal.

Richards shot wide after good work by Tom Smith then had another effort beaten out by Wilks as far as Harvey but he bundled wide from close range.

As the game moved into the latter stages Welling had a shout for a penalty when Oyinsan clipped past Pardington and was taken out.

Rooney had a shot well saved and Aaron Cosgrave’s follow up was blocked bravely by Harvey Smith but Welling were well beaten and will need to regroup quickly ahead of their midweek trip to Billericay Town.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Anderson, Rooney, Swaine, Rich-Baghuelou, Cosgrave, Anau (Copeland 46), Goldberg (McCallum 74), Coombes (Oyinsan 46), Green. Unused subs: Okosieme, McCallum.

Yellow cards: None

Red cards: None


Bath City: Clarke, Raynes, Riley-Lowe, T. Smith, Richards, Hartridge, H. Smith, Watkins (Simpson 70), Harvey, Mann, Hamblin. Subs not used: Wiles-Richards, Bower, Harper.

Goalscorers: Hartridge (9), Harvey pen (22), Richards (43)

Yellow cards: T.Smith

Red cards: None


Referee: Michael Ryan

Assistants: Michael Marsh and Steven Rea

Attendance: 416

Pictures supplied by Dave Budden.