Welling Town 4-3 Erith and Belvedere
Welling Town 4-3 Erith and Belvedere

An exciting Southern Counties East Football League Division One promotion tussle ended with leaders Welling Town defeating second placed Erith and Belvedere.

For the first forty-five minutes Erith looked like they were well on their way to victory but the second period was completely different.

Harry Gamble prodded wide for Welling in the first minute before Guyliano Tresor Mpungi’s cross was half cleared to Ramell Lake for Erith but he fired wide.

Tresor Mpungi opened the scoring on sixteen minutes when cutting in from the bye-line and finishing well from a tight angle.

Ryan Golding headed wide then had a shot saved easily for the hosts before Tresor Mpungi again stretched the Boots’ back line before drawing a save out of Jack Moore.

Mehmet Piro headed wide for Welling before Golding had a shot saved comfortably by Dan Teeley, Lake took aim from a good thirty-five yards and beat Moore all ends up only to see his effort fly back off the post.

Jojo Ogunbiyi looked certain to score from Harry Harding’s low cross but Jason Mensah made a great last ditch challenge.

Tresor Mpungi had a shot saved and Quan stabbed wide as the visitors took control although, in a counter attack Gamble floated a header against the post from a deep Piro cross.

On the stroke of half time Quan got up well to head home from Lake’s cross and the Deres looked well on course to extend their seventeen match unbeaten run.

However, it all changed when Welling scored twice in three minutes to level. First Jordan Samuel fired home after Mensah flicked on Piro’s corner then Golding got onto the end of a long ball to bundle it home.

Quan headed over from a corner before Harding’s shot from a tight anglewas beaten out by Moore as Erith looked to regain their lead.

That they did when Wade finished after being sent clear by Harding’s clever flick from Quan’s long through ball.

Their lead didn’t last long. After Gamble stabbed wide, Piro found Golding and he squeezed it home from a tight angle.

Five minutes later, the Boots went ahead for the first time. Samuel’s long throw was not cleared properly and the outstanding Piro smashed it home.

Sam Bailey curled a shot over and Golding chased a long ball and headed over the out-rushing Teeley but Erith substitute Munyaradzi Bruce Muchenje got back to clear.

One last chance was presented to the visitors but Harding’s free kick hit the roof of the net.

The result leaves the race for the championship race wide open and everything is set up for a thrilling run in.

Welling Town: Moore, Taylor, Piro, Patterson, Wells, Mensah, Samuel, Gamble (Hepburn 84), Golding (Adjei 90), Brown (Dylan 79), Bailey.

Subs not used: Zepo, Powell.

Erith and Belvedere: Teeley, Hill, Barrett, Lake (Curtis 80), J. Wade, Jones, Pope-Campbell, Quan, Ogunbiy (Bruce Muchenje 79), Haeding, Tresor Mpungi.

Sub not used: Dobson Holley, R.Wade.

Welling Town:

Goalscorers: Samuel (53), Golding (55) (72), Piro (77)

Yellow cards: Gamble

Red cards:

Erith and Belvedere:

Goalscorers: Tresor Mpungi (16), Quan (45), Lake (71)

Yellow cards: Birch

Red cards:

Referee: Michael Butcher

Assistants: Matt Williams and Chris Clarke

Attendance: 153

Man of the Match: Mehmet Piro

Pictures supplied by Dave Cumberbatch.