Welling progress in London Senior Cup
Welling progress in London Senior Cup

In the absence of a league game, Welling United entertained Hanwell Town in the first round of the London Senior Cup.

Despite the two league difference between the clubs there was little between the two teams and Welling rode their luck a little to go through. The hosts shaded the first half but were second best after the break.

However, they held their nerve in the penalty shoot out and Tom Smith, returning from injury, made two saves to see his team through.

Harry Rush and Ogochukwu Obi were both off target for Hanwell in the early stages before Damian Pawlak made a stunning double save to stop Welling from going ahead.

First he made a full length diving save to keep out Ade Shokunbi’s shot. It came out to Bradley Stevenson who showed great technique to hook his shot goal-wards and Pawlak flew across goal to turn it round the post.

Ben Allen then had a shot on the turn that went just wide but he was not to be denied for long. Aaron Barnes went on a great break and his low cross was tucked home by Allen.

Shokunbi had another shot saved before Jack Beadle did likewise at the other end with a shot beaten out by Smith. The Wings’ keeper had to make one more save before the break to keep out a low shot by Kai Omokobrosnan.

Obi was allowed to stride forward early in the second period but fired over before Welling had to make an enforced change when Aaron Barnes went down injured and Chi Ezennolim replaced him.

Dipo Akinyemi fired over for Welling then Bradley Stevenson held it up well, Che Krabbendam stabbed into the path of Kristian Campbell and he curled over from twenty yards.

Hanwell’s management thought that they were better placed than the assistant referee when arguing that a Welling clearance had crossed the line before Edon Pruti headed over from Rush’s cross.

Substitute Adam Laaref had a shot saved by Smith at the near post before Hanwell levelled with eleven minutes remaining. Obi cut inside from the left and slid his shot just inside the far post.

Kaylen Hinds then came to Welling’s rescue with a goal-line clearance before Obi shot wide of the near post.

Both sides had one last chance to grab the winner, Krabbendam shooting wide for Welling and Omokobrosnan having a shot deflected over for Hanwell before the dreaded penalties.

At the road end, Obi converted Hanwell’s first spot kick before Allen blasted over for Welling. Brendan Matthews for the visitors and Stevenson for the hosts were both successful before Smith saved well from Bush.

Krabbendam levelled for Welling, and Terlochan Singh and Campbell made it three-three before Smith saved from Pruti. That allowed Hinds to step up and fire Welling into the second round and a tie at AFC Croydon Athletic or Dulwich Hamlet.

Welling United: Smith, Barnes (Ezennolim 54), Campbell, Ilic (Pepe 46), O’Keefe, Perkins, Krabbendam, Stevenson, Akinyemi (Hinds 67), Allen, Shokunbi.

Subs not used: Saunders-Henry, Brown.

Goalscorers: Allen

Yellow cards: Allen, Krabbendam

Red cards: None 

Hanwell Town: Pawlak, Jonas, Pruti, Singh, Duncan, O’Brien, Omokobrosnan, Rush, Obi, Siemienczuk (Matthews 58), Beadle (Laaref 64).

Subs not used: Nicholas, Hutchinson, Carr.

Goalscorers: Obi

Yellow cards: Jonas

Red cards: None

Referee: Jide Ogunba

Assistants: Jordan Whitworth and Darren Kempson

Attendance: 179

Pictures supplied by Dave Budden.