KSN are proud to support:

Thamesmead Town 0-0 Heybridge Swifts
Thamesmead Town 0-0 Heybridge Swifts

It’s now one win in seven Ryman North games for Thamesmead, and four consecutive games in all competitions without a goal, following a disappointing 0-0 draw with bottom of the league Heybridge Swifts.

Photography that brings back memories.

For a side who hadn’t found the net in their three previous games, Thamesmead’s forwards certainly weren’t shot-shy and created the clearest chances of the evening, but found Swift’s keeper Danny Sambridge in inspired form to keep the scoreline level.  The loss of centre-back Matt Toms just before the interval meant that the game was far more even in the second period.

Aided by a biting wind, the home side looked to get the ball forward quickly at every opportunity to utilise the pace of their three forwards.  Within three minutes, Tyrus Gordon-Young had fired wide, holding off Sam Cross to reach a flick on by Theo Fairweather-Johnson.

Paul Vines was denied by the first of a series of saves from Sambridge; the forward reacting quickest after his initial shot was blocked to lash a left foot shot towards the corner with the Swift’s custodian throwing himself low to his right to turn the effort away.

Photography that brings back memories.

Fairweather-Johnson curled a shot over as Heybridge’s defenders struggled to cope with the wind and Gordon-Young drew a further save from Sambridge as Thamesmead looked to drive home their advantage.

It took 30 minutes before the home goal was threatened, as Chris Bryan had a shot deflected for a corner, and it looked as though set-pieces would be Heybridge’s best approach.

Jay Porter curled a wicked free kick through a patchy wall but agonisingly for Thamesmead, just past the right post seven minutes before the interval.

Controversially just before the break, Thamesmead defender Matt Toms was dismissed for the second consecutive game, following his dismissal at Hungerford Town, following an innocuous brush against Luis Morrison.  The referee deemed that Toms was the last man denying a goalscoring opportunity and sent the defender from the field.

From the resulting freekick, George Cole forced Andy Walker into a good save to his right, but the Thamesmead defence came to Walker’s aid to ensure there was no follow-up shot.

Photography that brings back memories.

Despite being a man short, Thamesmead started the second half on the front foot and created two clear-cut chances within the first few minutes.  Vines retrieved a long clearance from Hallam to send a cross through the 6-yard box, where Gordon-Young, on the stretch, could only divert his shot over the bar.

Moments later, Porter drove to the by-line before putting his cross in from the left, and Fairweather-Johnson’s shot was deflected into the arms of Sambridge.

Photography that brings back memories.

Bryan fired a freekick into the wall as Heybridge started to use the conditions to their advantage, and substitutes Lewis Godbold and Lamar Reynolds were wasteful when in front of goal.  But in the end, the effort of the ten men in green wasn’t enough to break their current run.


THAMESMEAD TOWN: Andy Walker, Ben Glasgow, Jay Porter, Lewis Dark, Farai Hallam, Matt Toms, Lee Prescott, Ibrahim Kargbo, Tyrus Gordon-Young, Paul Vines, Theo Fairweather-Johnson (Derek Duncan 64).

Subs not used: Tommy Spillane, Michael Aziaya, Richard Butler.

Cautions: Ben Glasgow 27, Lewis Dark 73.
Dismissed: Matt Toms 45.

HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS: Danny Sambridge, Matt Pooley, Sam Cross, Sam Ling, Lee Townrow, Liam Thomas, Chris Bryan, Jack Smith, Luis Morrison (Lewis Godbold 70), George Cole (Lamar Reynolds 85), Raphael Duyile (Jack Barnham 81).

Subs not used: George Doyle, Jack Humphrey.

Cautions: Sam Cross 45+2, Chris Bryan 90.

Attendance: 81

Referee: Mr Stuart Franklin
Assistants: Mr Paul Greenfield and Mr Brett Grant

Pictures supplied by Richard Brooks Photography