KSN are proud to support:

Taylor sacked as Welling draw
Taylor sacked as Welling draw

Another difficult afternoon for Welling United ended with them sharing the points with Bath City. After the game, Chairman Mark Goldberg and his board of directors had a ‘pow wow’ with the decision made to relieve manager Peter Taylor of his role as team manager.

Both sides came into the game on the back of winless runs and although there was no lack of desire and commitment, there were few clear cut chances on a very awkward playing surface.

Early on, Mason Saunders-Henry had a shot blocked for Welling but it was the visitors who came closer when David Sims-Burgess headed over from a cross from Ryan Jones. Ben Allen shot wide with a first time effort for Welling then Jones skied over at the other end.

Just after mid-way through the first half, Bath went ahead from a contentious free kick. Elliott Frear delivered, and Cody Cooke got up ahead of goalkeeper Jack Sims to head home.

Within a minute, Welling should have levelled. Allen was sent clear and slipped it past goalkeeper Ryan Clarke, but also the post.

As half time approached, Kristian Campbell had a low shot saved despite a slight deflection.

Jordan Dyer headed wide from a Jones corner early in the second half before Dipo Akinyemi cut in along the bye-line, but Clarke was across quickly to block out for a corner before he could pull it back. 

Akinyemi then missed a great chance from a delicious Campbell cross but was unable to hit the target with his header. Substitute Bradley Stevenson let fly but his shot swerved away from the goal then, at the other end, Jones stuck his foot out to meet a deep Zak Delaney cross, but it flew wide.

Allen had a long shot saved comfortably before Bath missed a great chance to finish the contest. Alex Fletcher sent in an inviting diagonal cross behind the Welling defence for Cooke, but he slid it wide, and Bath paid for the miss within a minute. While Jack Batten was lying prone in the middle, Allen was sent free into the vacated space and made up for his earlier miss by sliding it home. 

Frear broke for the Romans as the game became stretched, but Maxwell Statham got back to make a crucial block then Olumide Durojaiye shot wide first time before the board was raised indicating an additional six minutes would be played. 

There were no clear chances in that period. Stevenson came closest for Welling when cutting across, but he shot wide, and the nearest Bath came was when Jones hooked over.

A point apiece didn’t suit either club with Billericay Town winning elsewhere, but it was probably a fair reflection of the game overall.

Welling United: Sims, Statham, Campbell, Pearce, Davis, Penney (Stevenson 55), Saunders-Henry, Durojaiye, Akinyemi, Derry (Muscatt 55), Allen.

Subs not used: Ezzenolim, Theobalds, Jackson.

Goalscorers: Allen (81) 

Yellow cards: Davis

Bath City: Clarke, E. Jones, Delaney, R. Jones, Dyer, Batten, Raynes, Fletcher, Cooke, Sims-Burgess (Holness 66), Frear.

Subs not used: Smith, Fuller, Ball, Rowe.

Goalscorers: (Cooke 26)

Yellow cards: Clarke

Referee: Callum Walchester

Assistants: Paul Burnham and Murray Grant

Attendance: 526

Pictures supplied by Dave Budden.