Snodland Town 1-4 Welling Town
Snodland Town 1-4 Welling Town

Welling Town’s hope of a league title and promotion come the end of the season came a step closer with a hard fought 4-1 win in windy conditions away to Snodland Town on Saturday.

As early as the first minute a mix up at the back saw top scorer Ryan Golding in on goal but his first touch of the game proved to be a shot wide of the far post.

The rustiness was the same at the other end, when on just four minutes Snodland were in on goal after hesitation in the Welling defence and their first opening was also placed wide of the goal.

Not to be outdone, Golding’s second shot of the game for Welling was this time wide of the other post, before a couple of good phases of play on the right hand side involving Jordan Samuel and Harry Gamble led to a corner which the latter scuffed high of the goal.

The scoring was opened on 26 minutes by Snodland. Hesitation at the back, with the strong wind blowing it over the defence, and surprising the onrushing Jack Moore in goal, meant the long punt dropped in between them all and the pace of jack Mayhew gave him a great opportunity to loop a chance over the Welling defence and in to the gaping net.

Not for the first time this season, a goal for the opposition acted as a motivator for the Welling attack and a quick move on the left from a throw-in put Mehmet Piro in on the left hand side and a lovely cross was met by birthday boy Harry Gamble on the volley to rifle the equaliser in to the roof of the net leaving the keeper helpless at such point blank range.

Before the break Welling centre-half Jason Mensah headed a chance from a deep corner against the post, before Snodland when nearly through on goal were unlucky not to be in, but a last ditch tackle from Dan Wells was harshly penalised for a foul, but having had it given, luckily only a yellow card as his defensive partner was considered to be covering him.

HT 1-1

With the wind behind them, and no doubt another fire up half-time talk, Welling were out of the blocks sharply in the second half, but it was Snodland on the break on 48 minutes who nearly restored their lead. Giving the ball away on the right hand side, they broke with pace and caught Welling flat footed, and thankfully their effort on goal was wasted.

Immediately on the attacked themselves from that chance, Jordan Samuel cut in from the right, and when Golding was well placed and demanding the ball, a left footed strike from Samuel was just over the bar.

Just a few minutes later, the same combo linked up with Gamble playing in Samuel on the right, and his deep cross was chested home by Ryan Golding from little more than a yard to put The Boots in front for the first time 2-1.

Now firmly on the front foot another Sam Bailey cross was blown by the wind on to the crossbar, before another deep run from Samuel and a 50/50 with the goalkeeper sadly didn’t drop in Welling’s favour.

On 61 minutes, struggling to clear their lines against strong winds, the pressing of the Welling attacking players nicked the ball from a midfielder, and passed forward. The outrushing goalkeeper sliced his clearance, and with it dropping to Harry Gamble 40 yards out, he had more time than he realised, and his rushed effort from distance was agonisingly wide of an open goal.

Snodland still had chances of their own, and with a couple of lively strikers they were constantly a threat on the break from turnovers of possession, but thankfully all of their efforts on goal were well saved or wide of the target.

On 71 minutes another in on goal attempt was taken by Ryan Golding. With the ball fired in to him his first touch was good, and just as he went to poke home, a combination of opposing recovering defender and his trusty right boot nudged the ball home for 3-1.

It was game over on 80 minutes as Sam Bailey burst forward avoiding an offside flag, and a first touch to create the angle, and a second clinical second sealed the win as Welling went 4-1 up.

Not short of the usual debating point, a bad foul on Mehmet Piro as he attacked was given against the Snodland right back. With the fouled player laying on the floor, onrushing players from both sides aggrieved at the foul, had to be separated, and after debate with one assistant, the referee awarded yellows for the pushing only to Welling players, as well as the original fouler.

And that was it, another valuable three points on the board for Welling, and a spirited and good performance from Snodland who looked an organised and quick side going forwards and one more than capable for competing at this level in comparison to the side faced earlier this season.

With results elsewhere for the title contenders all being wins, as vital a three points as could be gathered for Welling was banked ahead of a now 14 day break before their next fixture at home to rivals Kennington. The league title and promotion places will sure to be looking a little more decided by the time that day arrives.

FT – Snodland Town 1-4 Welling Town

Welling Town: Moore, Brand, Piro, Patterson, Wells, Mensah (Hepburn 79’), Samuel, Gamble, Golding, Brown (Taylor 66’), Bailey (Dylan 80’). Subs unused, Zepo, Adjei.

Images courtesy of Dave Cumberbatch