Peterborough United 0-0 Gillingham
Peterborough United 0-0 Gillingham

Gillingham continued their unbeaten league run with a 0-0 draw away at Peterborough on Saturday afternoon, although they may have felt they should’ve left London Road with all three points.

The Gills controlled the majority of the game and hit the bar twice – through Brandon Hanlan and new signing Jordan Roberts – but they couldn’t find a way past Christy Pym in the Posh goal.

New signing Roberts went straight in to Steve Evans’ starting 11, but, apart from that, the Scot went with the same side that has been so successful during the unbeaten run they’re on.

Gillingham, as they have so often this season, came flying out the blocks. After 17 minutes, Christy Pym flapped at a delivery as the ball fell to Tucker, but the 20-year-old’s effort across goal lacked power and was cleared.

Roberts, perhaps with a point to prove after hardly featuring for parent club Ipswich this season, had a good opportunity to open the scoring on 23 minutes. He was found in the box unmarked, but headed an effort well wide.

Jack Bonham had to make his first meaningful contribution in goal for Gillingham just after half an hour to claw away Posh’s first effort of the game, but the action was still to come as the Gills ended the half the stronger side.

Another ball into the box was headed against the bar by Roberts, and Peterborough failed to clear the danger. Instead, Brandon Hanlan rose highest to head the loose ball, but he too hit the bar from just a few yards out.

There was still time for Stuart O’Keefe to go close with a long-range strike, and Gillingham will have been left wondering how they hadn’t scored going into half-time.

The second-half was a little bit slower, which suited the home side, but Gillingham continued to dominate play albeit no to avail.

Bonham almost gifted Peterborough a goal, however, just after an hour when he spilled a shot from the edge of the box. He was, though, alert to divert Ivan Toney’s follow-up onto the bar to preserve his clean sheet.

Both teams continued to toil away as the half progressed, and Gillingham looked more likely to score, helped when Posh captain Mark Beevers was given his marching orders on 88 minutes after body checking Brandon Hanlan for a second yellow card.

Evans’ men couldn’t find a way through, however, and almost threw their point away when Toney ran onto a misjudged Jack Tucker header in the dying moments. The League One top scorer, though, could only drag his effort wide. 

Boos from the home fans rang round the ground at full-time, but Gillingham will welcome the point. They will want to turn these draws into wins as soon as possible, however.

Peterborough: Pym, Butler, Beevers, Kent, Eisa (Bennett 88), Brown (Ward 90), Reed, Toney, Boyd (Maddison 65), Mason, Taylor. 

Subs not used: O’Malley, Blake-Tracey, Barker, Burrows.

Gillingham: Bonham, O’Keefe, Ehmer, Ogilvie, Hanlan, Fuller, Jones, Lee, O’Connor, Tucker, Roberts (Jakubiak 79).

Subs not used: Walsh, Willock, Mandron, Charles-Cook, Pringle, Marshall

Attendance: 6,696 (397 away).

Referee: Mr. K. Johnson.

Picture supplied by Gillingham Football Club.