Milton Keynes Thunder 2-11 Invicta Dynamos
Milton Keynes Thunder 2-11 Invicta Dynamos

Richard Harris scored his first ever goals for the Invicta Dynamos on Sunday as his double alongside efforts from Tom Davis (2), Ashley Jackson (2), Anthony Leone (2), Brandon Webster, Mason Webster and Juraj Huska saw the Mos comfortably overpower the Milton Keynes Thunder in an 11-2 victory on the road.

The Dynamos came into the tie without Ben Clements, Billy Phillips and Joshua Condren so Owen Rider started in net.

In the opening frame the Mos were dominant and opened the scoring as early as 02.15 – Mason Webster found brother Brandon Webster in front who fired beyond Vincent Graziano for the 1-0 lead. That edge was then extended at 05.10 – Ashley Jackson’s pass teeing up Tom Davis for the blue line shot and the captain drilled just inside the left post from distance to make it 2-0.

Milton Keynes struck back at 10.40 as Haydn Hagger setup Alex Whyte to force beyond Owen Rider from close range but the deficit was back to two almost immediately as the Mos replied at 11.29. Ashley Jackson was the architect again as his through pass released Juraj Huska and the Slovakian fired past the reach of Vincent Graziano from the left circle to make it 3-1. A fourth followed before the break – Richard Harris claiming his fist for the Mos since his switch from the Mustangs as he fired over the line from right in front following a pass by Stanislav Lascek.

The second period was a more even affair however the Mos were still next to tally despite Tom Davis sitting in the box for holding. At 20.53 Juraj Huska fed Ashley Jackson from behind the net and Jackson finished high over the reach of Vincent Graziano for the shorthanded strike that made it 5-1. A sixth followed at 26.44 – the Webster partnership proving fruitful again as this time Brandon teed up Mason on the edge of the crease and he turned inside the far post for the 6-1 edge.

An interference minor on Henry Aiken gave the hosts a powerplay and they used the opportunity at 32.05 – Gareth O’Flaherty roofing the puck over Owen Rider from the back of the left circle to make it 6-2.

For the final period the Thunder switched netminder Vincent Graziano for Matthew Friend but the replacement goalie would face an onslaught in the last as the Mos ran rampant. At 43.27 the visitors claimed their first of five in the frame – Ashley Jackson finding Tom Davis with a clear view on the blue line and the captain drove in from distance for his second of the night. 7-2 then became 8-2 at 48.01 – Anthony Leone beating his man around the outside down the right wing before making a skate to goal and firing beyond Friend from close range. Not content with one, Leone then doubled up just 39 seconds later – the clock stopping at 48.40 as a Juraj Huska diagonal found him all alone right in front and he made no mistake with the finish to make it 9-2.

The relentless pursuit of goals continued and at 52.12 the visitors had another – Juraj Huska found Ashley Jackson who worked some space in front with some neat stickwork before rifling beyond Matthew Friend for his second of the evening. The last of the evening then came at 53.22 – Richard Harris also nabbing a second as he redirected Tommy Ralph’s blue line shot leaving Friend no chance in the Thunder net.

So it was a thumping 11-2 win for the Mos who just had far too much about them for the young and inexperienced Milton Keynes outfit. The Thunder battled to the end but were unable to prevent their biggest defeat of the season so far. Man of the match awards went to Ashley Jackson of the Mos who finished with 2+4 and Gareth O’Flaherty of the hosts.