KSN are proud to support:

Lewisham Borough 1-1 FC Elmstead
Lewisham Borough 1-1 FC Elmstead

Honours were shared in a Southern Counties East Football League Division One match between Lewisham Borough and F.C. Elmstead. 

Defences held sway for most of the competitive match and the two goals were scored at the start of each half.

Just fourteen seconds were on the clock when Lewisham had their first chance when Bryan Zepo’s low shot was well saved by Ryan McCourt. Then the visitors won a throw in, and Callum Keeble launched it in, picking out Kanan Fitton but he headed over.

In the fifth minute the Boro went ahead. Jaydan Hoosang played it across the edge of the penalty area, Zepo laid it back, and Chuks Nwobani arrowed a twenty yarder into the bottom corner.

Fitton looked for a quick response with a first time shot that was well held by Jake Haskins before McCourt had to charge out and head away after Raphael President beat Elmstead’s high back line.

Zepo shot straight at McCourt then, at the other end Fitton headed wide from a Luke Alliband cross. Soon after, the hosts had a big shout for a penalty when Zepo and Mike Holliday collided in the area.

Danger man Fitton again caused Lewisham problems when holding off his man well and easing infield, but he sliced his shot well wide before a long range Nwobani shot was deflected wide, From the corner Edward Adeshina lost his marker but was unable to hit the target with his header.

If the Boro had been disappointed when not being awarded a penalty earlier, they were stunned when they didn’t get one just before half time. Zepo dispossessed McCourt as he tried to dribble out of danger and in his attempt to atone, he tripped the Lewisham striker in the area right in front of the assistant referee who kept his flag down.

Less than one minute after the break, the visitors levelled. Another Keeble long throw was not cleared, and it came out to Joedon Cowin who found a gap between Haskins and the near post with a fierce drive.

After that, it became a midfield battle with neither side being able to create a chance other than a header from Fitton that went wide.

It got frantic in the last ten minutes and McCourt did well to beat out a fierce cross shot from President. Then Elmstead came close when Joe Plant shot just beyond the far post with Haskins well beaten.

Tom Chambers, a substitute for the Boro, hit a shot that was deflected causing it to dip, but not until it had already gone over. Lewisham failed to make anything of the corner and the referee blew his whistle for full time shortly after.  

Although Lewisham might look back at the two controversial moments, a draw was probably a fair result overall.

Lewisham Borough: Haskins, Hoosang, Adeshina (McDonald 75), Williams, Robinson, Burrell-Grant, Davies, Nwobani, Zepo, Paul (Chambers 70), President (Sama 86).

Unused subs: Boakye, Reid.

Goal scorers: Nwobani (5)

Yellow cards: None

FC Elmstead: McCourt, Alliston, Pell, Holliday, Wason, Nwosu, Cowin (Longland 81), Plant, Alliband (Tabima 70), Fitton, Keeble.

Unused subs: Kimberley, Salami, Macarthy. 

Goal scorers:  Cowin (46)

Yellow cards: None

Referee: John Crook

Assistants: Alfie Barnes and Samuel Hall