Invicta Dynamos 3-2 Slough Jets
Invicta Dynamos 3-2 Slough Jets

The Invicta Dynamos came back from a disastrous start that saw them go 2-0 down in the opening minutes to beat the Slough Jets 3-2 in Gillingham on Sunday and set up a cup final date with Streatham IHC in January.

The Dynamos were without Matt Foord, Mason Webster, Richard Harris and Joshua Condren. Owen Rider started between the posts for the hosts whilst Brett Shepherd guarded the net for the visitors. The tie started with the teams level at 2-2 following the first leg in Slough the night before.

In the opening frame the Mos made the worst start to the game possible – the Jets taking the lead within just twelve seconds of the puck drop as Adam Rosbottom’s shot on the spin from the right circle fell to Christian Mohr in front who tucked in for 1-0. At 03.40 it was then 2-0 – from behind the net Daniel Rose found Jacob Soper alone in the left circle and he beat Rider at his near post for the two goal cushion.

Despite the early deficit the Dynamos rallied and should have replied when Brandon Webster was found alone right in front but his shot from prime shooting territory failed to trouble the goalie. The Mos did answer at 13.10 though – Ashley Jackson forcing a pass through to Juraj Huska who then beat Brett Shepherd with some quick stick work whilst one-on-one to put his team on the board. A high sticks minor on Jacob Soper then gave the Mos a powerplay and they took advantage at 16.18 – Billy Phillips picking out Tommy Ralph with a clear shot close right and he fired low between Shepherd and the near post to level the game.

Straight after the restart Tomas Banovsky slipped through on the breakaway where an innocuous collision with the netminder then left Brett Shepherd grounded for a lengthy spell. The goalie was eventually stretchered from the ice as a precaution and was thankfully later revealed to have suffered no serious long term injuries. The lengthy delay saw the period close prematurely with the time then added to the second frame.

When play restarted replacement goalie Brett Massey thwarted Tomas Banovsky on the breakaway but the Slovakian would get his goal at 20.49 – Billy Phillips sending him down the left channel and from the left circle he arrowed a shot high over the goalie’s shoulder for 3-2. In response Adam Rosbottom was robbed by Owen Rider when he tried his luck from the slot before William Dobbe later pinged the bar from close right.

At 24.57 tempers briefly flared as an awkward hit on Billy Phillips by Timo Lindgren earned an off the puck hit from Tom Davis as retribution that would be called for charging. The visitors could do little with the powerplay though and almost fell further behind but both Tomas Banovsky and Juraj Huska were denied by Brett Massey.

In the final frame Own Rider saved from Adam Rosbottom at point blank range and also denied Daniel Rose’s follow up before there was another flashpoint at 48.24. Tommy Ralph took a disliking t Christian Mohr in front of the Mos goal and grabbed him around the neck before wrestling him to the ground whilst Anthony Leone and Harry Corkum also had a minor tussle. Corckum received two for roughing whilst Ralph was done for the night with two for incitement, two for roughing and a ten minute misconduct.

As time wound down neither team could finds the net again with Tomas Banovsky coming closest with two shots from tight angles that were saved by Brett Massey. When the buzzer sounded it was the Mos then that had booked their place in the cup final to be played in January 2022.

Pictures supplied by David Trevallion.