Invicta Dynamos 3-2 London Raiders
Invicta Dynamos 3-2 London Raiders

The Invicta Dynamos got back to winning ways with a tense 3-2 victory against rivals London Raiders on Sunday night.

In what was a dramatic game with the fans really playing their part, the Dynamos battled hard for two precious points that keeps them second in the league.

Without the services of suspended trio Callum Fowler, Mason Webster and Harrison Lillis, the game always looked like it was going to be tough, but they were also denied the use of injured players Damien King, Joshua Condren and Haydn Wootton, whilst Ashley Jackson (in India) and Adam McNicoll were also missing.

With so few players in which to call from, it didn’t help that coach Kevin Parrish was also serving a one game suspension and was forced to watch from the bar.

That meant Martin Rider had to step up and run the bench, with basically only two full lines in which to use.

The game was less than four minutes old when the Dynamos broke the deadlock. Making full use of a powerplay, Arran Strawson’s blue line strike was diverted home by the grateful Steve Osman.

For the remainder of the period, it was end to end action with John Dibble denying the Raiders time and time again, whilst Euan King was kept busy in the London goal.

The second period saw both sides up the intensity and former Mo, Alan Lack, was spoiling for a fight and it finally came of sorts in the 35th minute. Having tried to get Dynamos import Adam Rehak go toe to toe numerous times, the Czech went for the diminuitive Raider, but slipped on the way into the bout with Lack claiming a take down, albeit no punches were thrown.

Lack tried to get into the face of Ondrej Zosiak towards the end of the period, but the powerful import was having none of it and the Dynamos went into the final break still leading 1-0.

The third period started much like the second, but the Raiders were finally rewarded for their efforts in the 44th with JJ Pitchley bundling the puck home from close range.

Marek Nahlik was trying all evening to find his way past Dibble, but found the Dynamos netminder in fine form and it proved to be crucial as the home side restored their lead in the 51st minute with Bailey Wootton easing the puck over the line following up from a Rehak strike.

Nahlik wasn’t to be denied forever though and less than two minutes later and it was 2-2 as the import was on hand to force home after Dibble had first denied Pitchley and then Lack.

With little under seven minutes left on the clock, indiscipline cost London dearly. Too many men on the ice meant they had to defend another Dynamos powerplay and they succumbed to the pressure on 53:53 with Rehak sending a thunderbolt of a shot past King to make it 3-2 with Arran Strawson picking up his third assist of the night.

The Raiders threw everything they had at the Dynamos in the final few minutes, but the Kent side stood firm, with Tommy Ralph slammed into the boards by Pitchley from behind with just seconds left on the clock, resulting in the London man having an early shower.

Those remaining seconds were cheered home by the vocal Dynamos support who applauded their stars off the ice, having laid their bodies on the line for the win.

Special mention must go to those players that don’t normally see much ice time like Brad Gutridge with every player having played a big part in what could prove to be a crucial victory.

The Dynamos now face London again away on Saturday night, before heading to Oxford on Sunday evening to take on the City Stars.

We caught up with Martin Rider and Arran Strawson after the game and you can listen to their exclusive interviews here: