Hythe Town 5-1 Phoenix Sports
Hythe Town 5-1 Phoenix Sports

Hat-trick hero Zak Ansah ended his goal scoring drought as he produced his three goals in the second half as Hythe Town cruised to a 5-1 win at home to Phoenix Sports on Saturday afternoon.

The first half started evenly with both sides having early chances. Nigel Neita was to have the first opportunity for the Cannons on five minutes as he shot over from 20 yards and then a minute later a cross from Ashley Probets found Alex Teniola whose effort was blocked by Hythe keeper George Kamurasi.  Hythe were looking the more likely as Elliot Capel, who impressed in midfield, forced Phoenix keeper Steven Phillips to block and then a Ryan Palmer free kick from 40 yards was met by Ollie Rowe who headed over. The pressure told on 14 minutes as Hythe took the lead. The ball came across from a cross from Palmer eventually finding Neita who slammed the ball home.

Phoenix were still creating opportunities as Teniola drove a shot through a crowd of players but it was easily collected by Kamurasi. This was followed quickly at the other end as a neat interchange between Palmer and Kieron Campbell was eventually played through to Ansah who forced Phillips to save. Phoenix’s Kineku Ansah was then to create two attempts as firstly he cut in and shot forcing Kamurasi to save to his left and then on 34 minutes he lifted a ball over the bar. However, the Cannons were to increase their lead a minute into injury time as the ever-dangerous Campbell who tormented the Phoenix defence all afternoon had a shot blocked. The ball came out to Mitchell Dickenson who couldn’t find a way through but it came back to Salvyn Kisitu who fired home his second goal of the season.

The second-half started with Hythe on the attack and on 52 minutes Campbell played the ball into Palmer who shot wide of the target and then at the other end Solomon Taiwo’s free kick sailed just over the bar from 25 yards. A poor clearance from Phillips followed which was intercepted by Campbell who threaded the ball through to Ansah but Phillips made amends by coming off his line quickly and blocking. Hythe deservedly increased their lead on 61 minutes as Kisitu crossed into Ansah who was in the open. He placed his shot past Phillips to make it 3-0. Within two minutes, at the other end, a free kick from Lewis Clark into Jack Hopkins with the final effort producing a good save from Kamurasi.

On 66 minutes, it should have been four for Hythe as Jack Barry brought down Campbell inside the penalty area. Up stepped Ansah who blasted his kick high over the bar and the chance was gone. Within three minutes, Ansah made amends as he made it 4-0. Neita lobbed the ball over the defence into the path of Ansah who clinically slotted the ball home from close range. The visitors did produce a scare on 78 minutes as they pulled a goal back. Jeff Kessie-Duah forced his way in from the right sending his shot past Kamurasi into the far corner of the net. However, Hythe were to reinstate their four-goal lead straight from the kick off. Palmer moved down the right crossing into Ansah who diverted the ball into the net to complete his hat trick. That was the end of the chances for the afternoon as the Cannons closed the game out.

Hythe can be really satisfied with their afternoon’s work that resulted in a comfortable win that sees them remain in seventh place just out side the play off zone as they travel next Saturday (16th February) to Greenwich Borough for their next fixture.

Team: George Kamurasi, Salvyn Kisitu, Jack Smith (Aziz Lyoubi 40 mins), Charlie Webster, Ollie Rowe, Mitchell Dickenson, Ryan Palmer, Elliot Capel, Zak Ansah, Nigel Neita, Kieron Campbell (James Nurden 83 mins).

Scorers: Hythe Town – Nigel Neita 14 mins, Salvyn Kisitu 45 mins, Zak Ansah 61, 69 & 78 mins. Phoenix Sports – Jeff Duah-Kessie 78 mins.

Attendance: 277