KSN are proud to support:

Hythe Town 4-2 Bishop’s Stortford
Hythe Town 4-2 Bishop’s Stortford

What a game for the neutrals as Hythe Town two division below Bishops Stortford beat them with a great spirit & hard work & Stortford’s lack of discipline. Hythe were now into the 1st round draw for the first time in their history & £4000 richer.Hythe Town

It started so well for Stortford as in the 7th minute they took the lead when Jon Nouble put Femi Akinwande through in the area & he slotted the ball past the onrushing Joe Mant, two minutes later it was nearly two when Aaron Greene on the edge of the area saw his shot pushed away by Mant & cleared before a Stortford player could react.

In the 11th minute Stortford were down to ten men when Marvel Ekpiteta was fouled by Alfie May but reacted by kicking him & the referee had no choice but to send him off. In the 13tyh minute luck was not on Hythe’s side as Kenny Pogue on the right crossed low to May whose shot came back of the post & came out to Alex Mulrooney-Skinner who from 10 yards saw his shot cleared off the line.

Hythe were now playing with confidence & it seemed that it would be only a short time before they equalised. In the 21st minute more misery for Stortford as keeper Joe Wright was injured when he dived at Mulrooney-Skinner’s feet, he ended up being subbed & ending up in hospital with complications with his jaw & nose, on came their substitute keeper Tom Lovelock.

Three minutes later they had a glorious chance to equalise when Mulrooney-Skinner’s cross into the 6 yard box was headed goal wards by Pogue but straight at Lovelock. A minute later they had equalised when May in the area jinked one way & then curled his shot in.

Ten minutes later Hythe went in front when Ryan Johnson on the right crossed into the area & this time Pogue headed in from 6 yards, three minutes later & Hythe were in Dream land as Josh Birchell crossed to the back post for Pogue who headed back across the area where May collected it controlled it & shot home from 8 yards. Half time arrived & Hythe looked to be going through to the next round whilst Stortford would have to be so much better than there first half performance to even get a replay.

The second half was only a minute old when Sam Adams saw his free kick from 25 yards saved by Lovelock. In the 52nd minute Stortford had a lifeline when Lee Sawyer who had come on as a substitute for the second half saw his shot saved by Mant & the ball came out into the middle of the area & the referee adjudged a foul had been committed & a penalty was given. In the 53rd minute Zach Fagan stepped up & shot straight down the middle.

This jolted Hythe for a while but in the 56th minute Pogue’s long ball forward found May who under pressure from Yado Mambo saw his shot saved by Lovelock. In the 56th minute Stortford’s chances looked doomed as Lee Sawyer was booked again & sent off. Chances were now coming Hythe’s way & in the 57th minute a free kick into the area was half cleared to Nick Reeves whose shot went just over the bar. In the 62nd minute Johnson’s cross to the back post found Mulrooney-Skinner but he headed just wide.

Fortune favoured Stortford in the 64th minute when a corner to the back post hit May & Lovelock was grateful it went straight to him. Another chance came in the 65th minute when Cloke knocked the ball into the area for Pogue but he headed over the bar. Eight minutes later it was Cloke’s who met a corner at the back post but headed over from 5 yards.

In the 80th minute Hythe wrapped the game up as Adams in midfield passed out wide for Frankie Sawyer whose low cross into the area was met by May who shot home from 6 yards to complete his hat trick. Stortford’s day became worse when Harry Hickford reckless challenge on May saw him sent off.

In the 3rd minute off added on time it nearly became five when Johnson’s cross to the back post saw Pogue slide in but his effort went wide. The final whistle went & it was deep joy for Hythe who thoroughly deserved this victory as they progressed on the road to Wembley whilst Stortford’s woes continued.

Hythe Town:

  1. Mant 2. M.Newman  3. J.Birchell (58)  4. R.Johnson 5. C.Cloke  6. N.Reeves  7. D.Cook
  2. S.Adams 9. K.Pogue  10. A.May (85)  11. A.Mulrooney-Skinner (67)

Subs Used:  14. B.Wilson (58)  12. F.Sawyer (67)  15. L.King (85)

Subs Not Used: 16. C.Webster  17. C.Saunders

Bookings: None

Bishops Stortford:

  1. Wright (21) 2. M.Ekpiteta  3. J.Herd  4. Z.Fagan  5. H.Hickford  6. Y.Mambo  7. P.Rodgers
  2. 8. F.Moncur (45) 9. J.Nouble (45)  10. F.Akinwande   11. A.Greene

Subs Used:  13. T.Lovelock  12. E.Kouassi (45)  14. L.Sawyer (45)

Subs Not Used:  15. R.Auger  16. J.Ekim

Bookings: 14. L.Sawyer (55, 56)

Sent Off:  2. M.Ekpiteta (11)  14. L.Sawyer (56)  5. H.Hickford (83)

Referee: Mr J.Miles

Assistants: Mr S.Scott & Mr L.Martin-Cramp

Att 234