Hythe Town 3-1 Ashford United
Hythe Town 3-1 Ashford United

The Hythe Town players gave manager, Sam Denly, the reaction he required as they put in an excellent performance to deservedly win 3-1 at home to Ashford United on Saturday afternoon.

The early exchanges were fairly even with the visitors having the first opportunity after only two minutes as Danny Parish had a shot parried by Hythe keeper George Kamurasi who was returning from injury. Hythe had to wait until the 13th minute for their first effort as a long ball from Makhosini Khayne found Zak Ansah who laid the ball back to Sid Sollis whose shot was saved by away keeper Sam Mott.  Ashford took the lead on a quarter of an hour as a dangerous free kick from Parish produced a save from Kamurasi but the ball came back out to Toby Ajala who finished well. Ashford continued to press and Parish was next to have an attempt as he launched a free kick from the edge of area high over the bar.

The Cannons were level on 21 minutes finishing off a fantastic move that saw a pinpoint long ball from Tom Carlton finding Salvyn Kisitu on the right-hand flank. The right back sent in a cross that was converted neatly by Sollis from close range. The rest of the half saw chances at both ends as firstly a header by Ashford centre back Afolabi Coker went straight at Kamurasi and then former Cannon Jay May had a shot deflected wide for a corner. At the other end Sollis ran down the right sending in a shot from a narrow angle that went across the face of the goal. Sam Corne played the ball onto Parish but he scuffed his shot wide.

Hythe’s next chance came from Ansah whose effort from a narrow angle went across goal and past the far post. Parish, who had proved a handful for the home defence during the half, attempted to lob Kamurasi but the ball rebounded off the bar. Both sides could both be happy with their endeavours going in at 1-1.

The second period started with the Nuts & Bolts on the front foot as a curling shot from Mohammed Kamara was palmed away by Kamurasi at full stretch and then the visitors had the ball in the net on 51 minutes as May knocked the ball over the line but it was ruled out for offside. As the half progressed Hythe slowly but surely took control of the game as firstly Ryan Palmer collected the ball and played on to Sollis who pulled his shot wide and then Ansah found the net but his effort was also disallowed for offside.

Hythe were to take the lead on 81 minutes as Palmer sent in the ball from the left finding Sollis who was free. The young striker placed his shot neatly in the right-hand side of the net to make it 2-1. Hythe nearly increased their lead on 88 minutes as Ansah won the ball playing a neat one-two with Carlton before he sent the ball wide.  However, a minute later the Cannons sealed the deserved three points as substitute Charlie Webster pounced on confusion in the Ashford defence planting the ball home to make it 3-1.  It was the icing on the cake for a Hythe team who had given everything to the cause to take the three points.  They had defended well led by Mitchell Dickenson and Ollie Rowe which gave then a great foundation to earn the win.

Hythe remain in seventh place as they prepare for the tough trip to Hastings United next Saturday (13th April 2019)

Team: George Kamurasi, Salvyn Kisitu, Makhosini Khayne, Elliott Capel, Ollie Rowe, Mitchell Dickenson, Ryan Palmer, Tom Carlton, Zak Ansah, Sid Sollis (Tom Walmsley 90 mins), Kieron Campbell (Charlie Webster 70 mins).

Scorers: Hythe Town – Sid Sollis 21 & 81 mins, Charlie Webster 89 mins. Ashford United – Toby Ajala 15 mins.



Attendance: 462.