Herne Bay 3-1 Faversham Town
Herne Bay 3-1 Faversham Town

What a performance! Reduced to 10 men but then totally outplayed Faversham Town in the second period. Raphe Brown scores his first ever goal for the Bay. Bay move up to 14th safely distant from relegation.

The first half was played at a frantic pace. Faversham came to the game determined to stop us playing; as soon as we got the ball we were closed down. Faversham were very physical but the boys stood up to the challenge and after we were reduced to 10 men, we were by far the better side.

It was the visitors who had the first real attempt on goal; Ashley Miller sent a wicked ball across the face of the goal but Liam King’s just failed to turn the ball home, hitting the outside of the post. Bay hit back; Danny Rumbol’s free kick was palmed away by keeper, Will Godman straight to Tahjae Anderson who blazed the ball over the bar from close range. The game was end to end but Godman was the busier keeper.

He had a good piece of luck following Brown’s pacey run down the left flank. Raphe’s cross deflected off the Faversham defender and flew straight into his arms. Next Rumbol plays a perfect ball into the box but unfortunately Ronald Sobowale just could not bring the ball under control but a minute later he was rewarded after chasing a ball down, he dispossessed Godman, took a touch before smashing the ball home to give Bay the lead.

Unfortunately this lead only lasted three minutes. From a corner kick played to the near post Callum Adonis-Taylor, under pressure from Faversham Town best player, Jamie Maxted headed into his own net to give the visitors hope for the second half.

The 2nd half was only three minutes old when the pattern of the game changed. Ryan Huckle pushed Sobowale in an off the ball incident. Ronald reacted and kicked out and quite rightly received his marching orders. From this moment Faversham seemed to take their foot off the pedal allowing Bay to control the game.

Following a number of throw-ins on the left hand side off the pitch the ball fell to Rumbol who struck a stunning low drive from fully 25 yards out which hit the inside of the upright and nestled in the back of the net.

Once the lead was restored Bay played the game out not allowing Faversham any time on the ball when they came forward, and countered with swift break-away attacks. The game became a little ‘tetchy’ and a number of bookings followed, but it was Brown who had the last say, poking the ball over the line with three minutes to go. It was nothing more than Bay deserved.

Herne Bay: Simon Overland, Alex Mulrooney-Skinner, Raphe Brown, Ben Gorham, Danny Rumbol, Callum Adonis-Taylor, Bradley Schafer, Simon Kabamba, Ronald Sobowale, Tahjae Anderson, Danny Leonard

Subs Used: Danny Brich (Adonis-Taylor 66)

Subs not used: Victor Aiyelabola, , Emmanuel Oluwasemo , Freddie Rumbol, Lewshan Clifford-Awoyemi

Mom: Raphe Brown