Havant & Waterlooville 1-2 Dartford
Havant & Waterlooville 1-2 Dartford

For the second time in a week it was a second half performance to remember for Dartford as they book their place in the National League South play-off final.

An inspired performance from substitute Ky Marsh-Brown and a brace for Darren McQueen sees them overturn an early goal from Jonah Ayunga. 

Steve King made two changes from the team that beat Slough last weekend. Ming and Briggs were brought in to the side with Hyde and last week’s hero Sheringham making way. 

With an even start to the game it was Havant who scored with the first chance of the game. In the 14th minute a long throw into the box was flicked on by Kedwell and Ayunga had an easy tap in. 

The visitors had their first chance soon after when a blocked shot from Jebb rebounded to Romain and his effort was deflected wide.  

Havant then had a couple of chances to extend their lead with Sesay comfortably saving Deacon’s effort and Fogden had a shot well blocked with Sesay out of his goal. 

A huge chance for Dartford to equalise came from a great pass from Jebb to put Ming in on goal but he could only blast over the bar. 

The turning point in the game came in first half stoppage time when Josh Taylor stupidly kicked out at Romain. Whilst he might not have connected the referee saw it and Taylor was rightfully given a red card. 

Both managers made changes at half time and it was Marsh-Brown who livened up Dartford’s attack. He made a great run getting to the by-line and setting up Romain but his effort was deflected wide. 

The equaliser was coming and in the 56th minute Marsh-Brown played in McQueen who took one touch and slot it past the keeper. 

Within ten minutes the game was turned on its head when Dartford were awarded a penalty following a foul in the Havant box. McQueen, like he has all season, remained calm to convert and give the Darts a 65th minute lead. 

Romain had a big chance to make it three when he drove into the box but his effort was saved well by Worner. 

The scores were almost level when Ayunga cut inside the box and fired towards goal but his effort went narrowly over the bar. 

Dartford were able to soak up late pressure from Havant and see out the game to book their place in next week’s final where they will travel to Weymouth. 

Dartford: Sesay, Ming (Hyde 45), Braham-Barrett, Briggs (Marsh-Brown 45), Hill, Bonner, Jebb, Husin (Noble 61), Romain (Sheringham 81), McQueen (Wanadio 78), Wynter  

Subs Not Used: Edwards 

Havant & Waterlooville: Worner, Read (Drury 45), Straker, Beckwith, Magri, Fogden (Tarbuck 66), Kedwell (Gomis 45), Ayunga, Deacon (Paul 45), Bailey, Taylor 

Subs Not Used: Tupper,Robson 

Picture supplied by Dartford Football Club.

View the full gallery here – https://photodiva.zenfolio.com/p958867601