Guernsey 0-2 Hythe Town
Guernsey 0-2 Hythe Town

Hythe Town flew home on Saturday evening with all three points in the bag as they won 2-0 on a damp Guernsey.

The Cannons took an early ninth-minute lead with a typical piece of Zak Ansah magic as Jack Sammoutis laid off a free kick from 25 yards. He unleashed a dipping shot that came off the underneath of the crossbar and into the net giving Guernsey keeper Callum Stanton no chance.  Ansah was then to have another effort from distance but this time it was easily blocked by Stanton. Hythe were very unlucky on 18 minutes as Charlie Webster hit a shot from the edge of the penalty area that rattled against the cross-bar.

The Islanders had to wait until the twentieth minute for their first attempt on goal as Matt Loaring picked up the ball and got himself into a shooting position but his effort went straight at Hythe keeper Ryan Nicholls. Soon after a shot from Charlton Gauvain didn’t do enough to test Nicholls. There were opportunities coming at both ends as Sammoutis laid the ball off again to Ansah whose placed shot was pushed around the post by Stanton’s outstretched arm. Another home attack saw a Gauvain shot deflected by some good defending from Elliot Capel sending the ball away for a corner and then a Seb Skillen corner found William Fazakerly but he bundled the ball over the bar from close range.

Guernsey continued to threaten but lacked a cutting edge with their final ball as Loaring pounced on an error from Capel but he failed to beat Nicholls with his final effort. At the other end, Ansah tested Stanton again but the keeper saved well. Nicholls was also to produce an excellent save on the stroke of half-time as he tipped a Skillen shot from the left over the bar.

Hythe started the second period the brighter as a neat one-two between Kieron Campbell and Webster ended with the latter sending his shot wide. However, Guernsey continued to have opportunities to get back into the game as Thomas Dodds crossed into the penalty area with Gauvain heading down at the far post but the ball easily collected by Nicholls. Mitchell Dickenson was then to do well to block an attempt from Green Lions substitute Kyle Smith.

As the half progressed, Hythe looked the more dangerous with Nigel Neita pouncing on a defensive error. He raced through but side-footed over the bar and then Ansah sent a free kick straight at Stanton. The result was sealed on 62 minutes as Neita played the ball into Sammoutis who curled his shot majestically into the corner of the net again giving Stanton no chance. Guernsey did have a chance to strike back on 64 minutes as a speculative effort from captain Jamie Dodd went just wide of the target.

Ansah had another attempt for the Cannons on 66 minutes but his shot was blocked by a defender. The Hythe defence remained resolute preventing any home comeback and they really should have extended their lead as Ansah found himself one on one with Stanton but the keeper blocked. Guernsey did have a couple of chances in injury time as Nicholls again saved and then a free kick from Gauvain was headed over by Fazakerley.

The three points were well deserved as the Cannons remain in third place now only one point behind Hastings United. They now wait until next Saturday when they entertain Horsham at Reachfields. Kick-off will be 3 pm.

Team: Ryan Nicholls, Salvyn Kisitu, Elliott Capel, Charlie Webster, Nathan Daly, Mitchell Dickenson, Nigel Neita (Billy Lewins 90 mins), Zach Fagan (Aziz Lyoubi 80 mins), Zak Ansah, Jack Sammoutis (Charlie Owen 90 mins), Kieron Campbell.

 Scorers: Hythe Town – Zak Ansah 9 mins, Jack Sammoutis 63 mins.

 Attendance: 643