KSN are proud to support:

Glebe 2-0 Sheppey United
Glebe 2-0 Sheppey United

Third placed Southern Counties East Football League, Glebe entertained second placed Sheppey United in an enthralling game at Foxbury and it was the hosts who came out on top.

They maintained their one hundred percent home record while, for Sheppey they suffered just their second league defeat of the season.

Michael Hagan had the first shooting opportunity for the visitors when he opened his body but curled his shot over the bar. Sheppey continued to enjoy the better of the opening exchanges but didn’t create any further chances.

However, it was the hosts who opened the scoring midway through the first half. They won a free kick on the left hand side and Bradley Wilson picked out Nico Lawrence who powered his header home.

Charlie Penny came close to extending the lead before Wilson found the back of the net with a composed finish but the assistant referee spotted an offside in the build up and the goal was chalked out.

In first half stoppage time, Sheppey’s Jefferson Aibangbee forced a near post save out of George Kamurasi at the cost of a corner and Richie Hamill’s delivery caused chaos in the penalty area but Glebe got it away.

The second half started cagily with neither side able to register a shot on target, however, that all changed two minutes shy of the hour mark. Wilson burst into the penalty area and might have gone down when he was clipped but he continued before pulling it back for Penny to slot home.

Moments later, the Ites missed a great chance to pull one back. Kamurasi was caught in possession by Warren Mfula and he nicked it away to Billy Bennett but he fired over when he attempted to beat a defender who had retreated onto the goal-line.

Jahmal Howlett-Mundle brought down Penny who had dispossessed him on the edge of the area but escaped with a caution. Penny took the free kick himself but could only fire it into the defensive wall.

Glebe almost topped their night off with a third when substitute Sam Johnson found Ainsley Everett but his twenty-five yarder flew back out off the inside of the post.

Although Sheppey threw men forward, they couldn’t fashion another opening and Glebe put their F.A. Trophy heartbreak behind them in the best possible way. 

Glebe: Kamurasi, Olorunnisomo, Parsons (Baugh 65), Morath-Gibbs, Lawrence, Douglas, Penny, Everett, Philpot, Wilson, King-Elliott (Johnson 55).

Subs not used: Rose, Chin, Azeez. 

Goalscorers: Lawrence (23), Penny (58).

Yellow cards: Lawrence, King-Elliott

Sheppey United: Molloy, Tenyue, Birch (Allan 59), Howlett-Mundle, Sains, Hamill, Orome, Bennett, Aibangbee, Hagan (Grant 46), Mfula.

Unused subs: Northwood, Dolby, Grant, Marsh.

Goalscorers: None

Yellow cards: Molloy, Sains, Howlett-Mundle

Referee: Joseph Dann-Pye

Assistants: Darren Wilson and Thomas Nichols

Attendance: 221