KSN are proud to support:

Glebe 1-2 Erith Town
Glebe 1-2 Erith Town

Never say die Erith Town came from behind to win at Glebe and claim home advantage in the Southern Counties East Football League play-off decider.

They left it late but two goals in the last fifteen minutes gave the Dockers a come from behind win

After the two teams spent the first fifteen minutes sparring for an opener, the Foxes went ahead. Jamie Philpot sprung the offside trap and rounded Erith goalkeeper Mackenzie Foley. As he was forced wide he clipped it to the far post and Nathan Mampono arrived late to head it home.

Looking for a quick response, James Dyer had a free kick blocked as far as James Miles. He crossed and Harry Taylor’s shot on the turn was tipped over acrobatically by Nathan Edwards. Taylor then headed wide from a Harrison Carnegie cross.

Tom Hever hit a shot for Glebe that appeared to be going wide until it hit a defender and flew into the grateful arms of Foley. Then Carnegie and Taylor combined again when the latter headed goalwards but Edwards saved comfortably.

However, he was forced to make a more spectacular stop soon after. Ollie Milton crossed to Carnegie whose first time shot drew a reaction block out of the Foxes goalkeeper.

He had one more save to make before half time when pushing Dyer’s inswinging corner over his own bar.

Carnegie continued to cause problems in the second half and his chip from out wide had Edwards back-pedalling and relieved to see it land on the roof of his own net. 

Philpot came close to putting daylight between the two teams when meeting Malachi Morris’ cross with a firm header that was tipped over by Foley.

Midway through the second half, and with time running out, Edwards had to dive to save a Miles shot. His next save, with thirteen minutes remaining, was another stunning reaction stop to thwart Taylor but he wasn’t rewarded as Tom Ash was first to the rebound and he smashed it home.

Miles tried to catch Edwards out with a free kick from out wide but the Foxes custodian wasn’t fooled and he tipped it over. However, with seven minutes remaining, and penalties looming, Erith went ahead.

Brilliant wing play by Bradley Ryan allowed him to whip in a cross that found its way to the far post and Taylor swept it home.

Although, Glebe searched for an equaliser by throwing Jamie Coyle forward, Foley wasn’t unduly bothered in Erith’s goal, claiming a long free kick by Edwards and a deep cross from Hever before referee Mark Fitzpatrick brought proceedings to a close.

In the other semi-final Corinthian stunned Faversham Town on penalties and Erith will host them on Monday 6th May with the victors promoted the Isthmian South East Division.

Glebe: Edwards, Hever, Dowrich, Muirhead Coyle, Goode, Mampono, Brand (Adepoju 78), Morris (Eruotor 68), Philpot, McDonald (Adesite 68).

Subs not used: Fofanah, Enkh.

Goal scorers: Mampono (16)

Yellow cards: Philpot, Mampono, Hever

Erith Town: Foley, Holland, Goodwin, Jayaguru, McGeehan, Ash, Dyer, Miles (Jeffrey 90), Milton (Melconian 63), Taylor, Carnegie (Ryan 75).

Subs not used: Mahal, Clarke.

Goalscorers: Ash (77), Taylor (83)

Yellow cards: Ash, Ryan

Referee: Mark Fitzpatrick

Assistants: Steve Roots and Jack Heath

Fourth Assistant: Jack Smith

Attendance: 450

Pictures supplied by Dave Budden.

TAGS:  , ,