FC Halifax Town 1-2 Bromley
FC Halifax Town 1-2 Bromley

Bromley moved into the National League play of places with a 2-1 win at Halifax Town on Saturday afternoon thanks to a goal in either half from Michael Cheek and James Alabi and a resilient defensive display from Andy Woodman’s team who are still unbeaten in his tenure as manager.

Luke Coulson came into the side in the only change from last week’s win at Chesterfield, while Taylor Maloney, Byron Webster and Jack Holland all still missed out with injuries. 

On a beautiful afternoon for football, played on a pitch that was in good condition considering it is shared with the town’s Rugby League team, it was the home team who started on the front foot.

Town looked to get the ball forward early and keep possession, with Wood having an early effort comfortably saved by Mark Cousins. Then on 14 minutes Bromley were gifted the chance to take the lead, when on their first real attack Cheek was brought down in the box on a strong run and The Ravens were awarded a penalty by Referee Scott Simpson.

The league’s top scorer picked himself up and tucked away the spot kick to put Bromley 1-0 up. The Ravens were lively from there with Coulson & Jack Bridge looking to be positive with balls into the box causing problems.

Jude Arthurs and Bridge both had efforts blocked as Woodman’s side looked to press from corners and long throws. It stayed that way until the final few minutes of the half when Halifax rallied.

King had a dangerous free kick cleared by Joe Kizzi and Chris Bush made a great block to deny the same player soon after.

The second half saw Halifax start on the attack again pinning Bromley back deep in their own half, King (twice) & Marr had efforts blocked as Kizzi, Bush & Alex Mitchell all got in the way of goal bound shots and Summerfield headed over from the resulting corner.

Town then had a series of corners and long throws from Marr, which The Ravens defended well and Marr also had a powerful effort deflected wide for a corner.

As the intense Shaymen pressure continued Chadwick crossed for Byrne, but he hit the side netting from a good position ten yards out on the right. Summerfield fired wide from long range and Hyde dragged a great chance wide across goal from the edge of the six yard box before Bromley began to look dangerous again in the final ten minutes.

Alabi, whose hold up play had been superb since coming on for Cheek, went close with a powerful drive from 25 yards that Johnson managed to gather at the second attempt, but he went one better at the clock ticked into injury time.

Ben Williamson and debutant Tate Campbell combined down the right and the Birmingham City loanee crossed for Alabi who blasted the ball from ten yards out past Johnson and into the net for 2-0.

On the next attack Halifax pulled a goal back when King played in Byrne to fire into the roof of the net from a tight angle, but Bromley held out for the final few minutes of added on time and secured the victory that moved them into sixth place in the league table.

Woodman now prepares his side for a home game with fellow play off challengers Chesterfield on Tuesday night looking to keep the winning & unbeaten runs going.

Halifax – Johnson, King, Williams (Senior 81), Summerfield, Clarke, Maher, Byrne, Green, Woods, Chadwick (Allen 77), Hyde.

Subs Not Used: Bradbury, Spence, Davidson-Hale.

Bromley: Cousins, Kizzi, Bush, Mitchell, Fox, Couslon, Arthurs (Campbell 81), Bingham, Bridge (Trotter 68), Cheek (Alabi 51), Williamson. 

Goals: HTFC – Byrne 93mins. BFC – Cheek 14 pen, Alabi 91mins.

Ref: Scott Simpson. 

HT 0-1

FT 1-2

Picture supplied by Bromley Football Club.