Faversham Town 4-1 Hertford Town
Faversham Town 4-1 Hertford Town

Faversham overcame Hertford Town despite going a goal down within three minutes and in doing so keep the Wembley dream alive.

Hertford played some nice football but didn’t cause many problems to the Faversham defence while Faversham with a workman like performance played to their strengths and got their just rewards.

The game was only eight minutes old when the visitors took an unexpected lead when a cross from the right to the near post saw Samual Faniyan beat the defender and flicked the ball past Luke Watkins.

It could have been two when Ben Herd’s free kick into the area was headed over the bar by Captain Isacc Pedro. This would be the last half chance of the half for Hertford as Faversham got to grips with the game and took control.

Then in the 14th minute they equalised when a Sam Bewick corner to the back post found Matt Bourne whose powerful header from eight yards went in despite a valiant effort from Joshua Bryant.

Just before the half hour mark, a long throw from Lewis Chambers into the area saw the ball allowed to bounce around falling to Harry Harding, who off balance shot high & wide.

Three minutes later Bewick running forward tried his luck from 30 yards forcing Luke Mewitt to save his shot at the second attempt.

In the next minute another Bewick corner to the back post found Bourne again, his header was tipped over the bar by Mewitt.

Faversham finally took the lead their possession deserved when Harding in the area was fouled by Bryant, a penalty was given. Up stepped Kelvin Ogboe and his long run up saw his miskicked effort go into the bottom left hand corner.

Half time arrived and Faversham would be happy that they were leading while Hertford would want to convert their nice play with goals.

The second half was only four minutes old when Luke Gymer dispossessed Donvieve Jones and from 20 yards his shot was pushed around the post by Watkins.

Three minutes later, Faversham got their third when Chambers long throw into the area was flicked past Mewitt by Harding.

In the very next minute Gymer twisting and turning saw his curling effort go just past the post. In the 59th minute Benedict Bioletti received the ball on the right, his first time shot from 22 yards flew over the bar.

A minute later Hertford could have got a goal back when Bryant on the by-line crossed low to Faniyan but from 12 yards and unopposed his shot went over the bar.

In the 86th minute Faversham nearly wrapped the game up when Watkins long kick was flicked on twice for Michael Hagen who ran into the area, he hit his shot across the goal, which went out for a goal kick.

As the clock hit the 90th minute Hertford nearly got a consolation when Ben Herd on the right crossed into the area for substitute Ben Weyman but from six yards his flicked header went wide.

Faversham completed the scoring in the second minute of added time when Harding disposed Harvie Gardner and from 20 yards he chipped Mewitt.

Hertford’s day was to end badly when Christopher Gosling fouled Harding and in doing so picked up his second yellow and was sent off in the last minute of the game.

        Faversham Town:

  1.  L.Watkins     2. D.Jones  3. A.Lyoubi (90+3)  4. L.Chambers   5. M.Bourne  6. J.Denny  7. B.Bioletti

8.     S.Bewick   9. S.Okoh (73)  10. H.Harding  11. K.Ogboe (56)   

Subs Used: 16. M.Hagen (56)  14. C.Williams (73)  15. A.Spiers (90+3)

Subs Not Used:  12. A.Ibe  17. L.Dos Santos

Bookings: 3. A.Lyoubi (45+3)  4. L.Chambers (50)  7. B.Bioletti (81)

        Hertford Town:

  1. L.Mewitt      2. B.Herd    3. J.Bryant   4. P.Symes  5. H.Gardiner  6. C.Gosling  7. K.Brown (62)

8.    I.Pedro    9. S.Faniyan    10. L.Gymer (26)   11. D.Ogbonna (86)

Subs Used:  15. B.Makhendi (26)  16. G. Jagdev 62)  12. B.Weyman (86)

Subs Not Used:  14. C.Butler   17. L.Adrian

Bookings:  6. G. Gosling (81 & 90+6)  8.I.Pedro (83)

Referee:  Mr I.Fissenden

Assistants:  Mr P.Zachwieja & Mr J.Howard

Att 212