Faversham Town 1-9 GIllingham
Faversham Town 1-9 GIllingham

Gillingham started their pre-season campaign with a resounding 9-1 victory away at Faversham Town.

Connor Ogilvie opened the scoring after just 3 minutes and the Gills never looked anything but in control for the 90 minutes. The home side rarely got a look in and had to wait until the second half to pull one back through former Gilllingham defender Ryan Huckle.

This was the Gills’ fans first chance to have a look at the summer signings with Thursday’s friendly against QPR played behind closed doors.


Gills continued to dominate the early stages and Ousseynou Cisse had a header tipped over the bar from Faversham keeper Simon Overland.

Gills made it 2-0 within the first fifteen minutes as Mikael Ndjoli burst through the home defence and smashed the ball into the roof of the net.

Not more than a minute later Overland was called into action once again this time denying Brandon Hanlan.

It was 3-0 on 20 minutes as Ndjoli grabbed his second of the game turning in a header at the near post.

Just a couple of minutes later Ndjoli turned provider as he set up Callum Reilly for Gills’ 4th.

Faversham rarely put together an assault of the Gills goal in the first half as the Football League side showed their class with a string of attacks.

A quiet period followed before halftime with side having any notable chances.

James Myles then had the chance to put Faversham on the scoresheet, their best of the half but he dragged his shot straight at Jack Bonham.


HT 0-4


The trend of the first half continued as Elliot List charged through before having his cut-back cleared.

Minutes later Matty Willock then slipped through Regan Charles-Cook before the latter had his shot saved by sub keeper Harry Day.

Gills continued to pile on the pressure as chances came and went before Matty Willock finished calmly to add a fifth for the away side.

Ryan Huckle pulled one back for Faversham rising highest from a corner on 61 minutes.

Roman Campbell then had a chance to add a sixth after some great link up play with Charles-Cook but dragged his shot past the far post.

Gillingham were still threatening a sixth goal, though, and looked ferocious on the attack.

The sixth eventually arrived with Nathan Thomas curling in a brilliant free kick from the edge of the penalty.

Jack Tucker then headed home a seventh from a Nathan Thomas corner, at the back post, on 71 minutes.

An eighth arrived shortly before the end with Elliot List cutting the ball back for Roman Campbell shortly before the end.

Nathan Thomas then added a ninth on 83 minutes after cutting inside and finishing brilliant on his left foot.

With minutes remaining Miquel Scarlett had the chance to make it double figures before Darren Oldaker had a shot cleared off the line and Elliot List smashed the bar.

The away side continued to put pressure on the Faversham goal with Regan Charles-Cook capitalising on a defensive mistake but was unable to grab the tenth.

He then had a free kick sail over the bar with the last kick off the game.


Faversham: Overland (Day), Jones (Mills), Maxted, Dorling (Chanberlane), Bourne, Huckle (C), Miles, Chapman, Sellens, Freiter (Lewins), Adeste.

Subs: Day, Lewins, Mills, Toure, Simpson, Rook, Gates, Chanberlane.

Goals: Ryan Huckle (61’)


Gillingham (First Half): Bonham, Hodson, Jones, Ogilvie, Garmston, Byrne, Cisse, O’Keefe, Reilly, Hanlan, Ndjoli

Gillingham (Second Half): Walsh, Scarlett, Ehmer, Tucker, Garmston (Woods) Thomas, Oldaker, Willock, List, Campbell, Charles-Cook

Goals: Ogilvie (2’), Ndjoli (16’, 21’), Reilly (22’), Willock (55’), Thomas (72’, 83’), Tucker (77’), Campbell (80’)

Attendance: N/A


Referee: Mr N Dunn

Assistants: Mr M Butcher & Mr M Cheeseman

Fourth official: Mr C Chapman