KSN are proud to support:

Erith & Belvedere XI 1-4 Welling United XI
Erith & Belvedere XI 1-4 Welling United XI

Charity football took place at the J. Hearnden Skip Hire Community Stadium when Micky Collins’ Erith and Belvedere’s 2012/13 Kent League winning side played Jamie Day’s Welling United Conference South Champions team from the same campaign.

Playing for The Hobbins Trophy, the game was arranged to raise funds for the Chartwell Cancer and Leukaemia Unit of the Princess Royal University Hospital, Farnborough, and King’s College Hospital, London.

All bar two of the Deres squad were members of Micky Collins’ Championship winning group whilst Welling had to draft in some players who represented the club prior to their title winning season under Jamie Day.

Collins’ team started the brighter with Andy Constable and Louis Collins both testing Welling goalkeeper Jamie Turner. However, it was the Wings who went ahead in the fourteenth minute when Ross Lafayette crossed and Joe Healy headed home.

Lafayette was twice off target before the Deres came close when Kieron McCann chipped beyond Turner but also the far post.

Kiernan Hughes-Mason’s shot was saved by Rilwan Anibaba and came out to Matt Bodkin whose follow up effort was headed off the line by Drew Crush. At the other end, Turner made a great save from Alex Warr. The Deres attacked again and Wood rounded Turner but Paul Lorraine got back to clear it off the line.

Crush again headed out from under the bar as Lafayette aimed for the top corner from out wide before Anibaba made an outstanding save from Jon Main.

After a low key start to the second period, Constable’s shot was well saved by Turner but only came out as far as Richmond Kissi and he made no mistake with a crisp low finish.

Ten minutes later, Welling went back ahead when Healy found Lafayette with space and time to go past his man and fire home.

Healy then tried a deft click from a Giannoulis Fakinos diagonal pass that was saved by Anibaba before Sam Hasler went close for the Deres directly from a free kick.

Full back Alan Matthews took the goalkeeper’s shirt and gloves when Anibaba had to go off and he was not rewarded when he made a brilliant save from Bodkin. It came back out to the Welling wide man and he squared to Healy who showed great composure before ‘passing’ it into the net.

Paul Springett, the co-chair of the Deres, shot wide then Collins had an effort saved by Turner. Matthews showed his prowess as a goalkeeper when making an excellent save from Hughes-Mason.

However, he was powerless to stop Welling from adding a fourth. Hughes-Mason’s pass picked out Kedwell and his ferocious clean hit gave Matthews no chance.

Welling United squad: Turner, Abbott, Probets, Kedwell, Chapman, Lorraine, Bodkin, Healy, Lafayette, Main, Hughes-Mason, Day, Coyle, Kinch, Cumbers, Fakinos.

Goalscorers: Healy (13), (83), Lafayette (74), Kedwell (89)

Yellow card: Kinch

Erith and Belvedere squad: Aniwaba, Matthews, Wilfort, Springett, Crush, McCann, Wood, Hassler, Constable, Warr, Collins.

Subs not used: Kissi, Smith, Groombridge.

Goalscorers: Kissi (64)

Referee: Gary Hayward-Morgan

Assistants: Keith Taylor and Lucas Hooker

Pictures supplied by Dave Budden.