Erith & Belvedere 3-2 Charlton Athletic
Erith & Belvedere 3-2 Charlton Athletic

Resolute Erith and Belvedere claimed the scalp of Charlton Athletic’s under 23 side in the London Senior Cup.

For the first thirty minutes the Addicks dominated and it looked to be a question of when they would score rather than if they would score however, the final pass kept going astray, and when they did get a shooting opportunity, they didn’t make the most of it.

Jacob Roddy spotted Rilwan Anibaba off his line but fired over from forty yards and Hady Ghandour headed over from Richard Chin’s cross.

Evan Williams cut in but fired wide of the near post then Darnell Baxter-Alleyne side footed wide after making the most of a misplaced pass out.

As the half progressed, the Deres started to grow into the game and two minutes before the interval Louis Sprosen burst through and was brought down in the penalty area by goalkeeper James Beadle. Experienced Luke Rooney stepped up and gave Beadle no chance from the spot.

Four minutes after the break, the Addicks drew level when Williams picked up a loose ball and advanced to finish confidently.

Ryan Viggars made space for himself and fired a left foot shot goalwards but Rilwan Anibaba made an excellent save pushing it onto the post and out. Viggars had another shooting opportunity when the corner was half cleared but he fired over.

However, he was not to be denied although he had a degree of luck when he put Charlton ahead. His shot took a wicked deflection to take it past a wrong-footed Anibaba.

Williams drew a great save out of Anibaba before he made a stunning one when tipping Ben Dempsey’s drive onto the post. So good was the save that even the Charlton bench applauded it.

The Deres continued to show their resilience and when Anibaba was beaten Max Pell got back to clear off the line.

It was not all one way though and the Deres might have had another penalty when Beadle flattened substitute Henry Dasofunjo.

Seventeen minutes remained when the Deres levelled. Tommy Brown found himself clear through and he prodded it past the onrushing Beadle and just inside the post.

Beadle made a great save to stop Drew Allassani from putting the Deres ahead then Anibaba was out quickly to make a strong block stop from Mason Burstow.

Charles Clayden made space for himself and his shot looked goal-bound but it hit his own man, Burstow. 

With the game moving into injury time Allassani broke through a couple of tackles before being upended by Charlie Barker, earning him a caution. Dasofunjo slung in the low free kick that went through a crowd of players. Beadle could only parry it and Reece Barrett bundled it home from a couple of yards out.

Although a further four and a half minutes of added time were played, Charlton were unable to fashion another chance and the Deres were soon celebrating an excellent victory.

Erith and Belvedere: Anibaba, Medhurst, Pell, Rooney (D. Allassani 69), Curtis, Barrett, Bate (Dasofunjo 61), D. Patterson, Willock (Brown 61), Sprosen, K. Allassani.

Unused subs: Murphy, Pain.

Goalscorers: Rooney pen (43), Brown (73), Barrett (90+2)

Yellow cards: Dasofunjo

Red cards: None

Charlton Athletic: Beadle, Chin, Roddy, Dempsey, Barker, Bakrin, Henry, Baxter-Alleyne (Vennings 61), Ghandour (Clayden 74), Williams, Viggars (Burstow 68).

Unused subs: Appiah, Powell.

Goalscorers: Williams (49), Viggars (55)

Yellow cards: Barker

Red cards: None

Referee: Morgan Conn

Assistants: Josh Howard and Dave Morrison

Attendance: 208

Pictures supplied by Dave Budden.