KSN are proud to support:

Ebbsfleet United 2-3 Welling United
Ebbsfleet United 2-3 Welling United

In a sometimes feisty Kent Senior Cup Quarter Final, Welling United took the honours at Ebbsfleet United in an all National League South tie.

New signing Sadik Balarabe had the first real effort of the game for the Wings when firing over after Cameron Andrews and Kyrell Lisbie combined to give him the opportunity.

Antony Papadopoulos then intercepted a sloppy pass out of the Ebbsfleet defence and hit it first time wide.

In the eleventh minute, Welling went ahead. Papadopoulos’s cross-field pass found Lisbie in space down the left and he advanced before firing home.

Five minutes later, Papadopoulos undid his good work by mistiming a tackle on Franklin Domi on the bye-line in his own area and penalty was awarded. Sido Jombati stepped up and sent Kai McKenzie-Lyle the wrong way to equalise.

After a further five minutes, the Fleet went ahead. They worked it well down the right hand side and played it back for Darren McQueen who fired it inside the far post.

Balarabe looked as if he was going to level when he went to round Chris Haigh with the goal gaping but the Ebbsfleet goalkeeper brought him down and was relieved to escape with a yellow card. Chi Ezennolim took the free kick but fired well over.

Abel Vendrells-Parcerisa also escaped with a yellow card when getting involved with Ben Chapman when he might have been more severely punished on another day.

However, referee Scott Rudd had no option other than to brand a red card nine minutes before half time when Elliott Romain swung an elbow into the face of Sam Cox, causing the Welling captain to withdraw as a concussion precaution.

Shaq Coulthirst had the last attempt of the half when he spun and shot but it skimmed over the roof of the net.

Four minutes after the break, Welling levelled. Vendrells-Parcerisa’s shot was beaten out as far as Balarabe. He remained calm and moved it onto his right foot before shooting home.

Amadou Kassarate shot just wide after Ezennolim laid it back before Kai McKenzie-Lyle made comfortable saves from McQueen and Hayden Bullas.

Five minutes after equalising, Welling went ahead. Ezennolim broke down the left, chopped back inside and went past two challenges before firing home with his right foot.

Lisbie looked like he had got round Haigh but the Fleet goalkeeper did well to recover and block his shot then Welling substitute Taylor Maloney had a low effort saved.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, Ebbsfleet were far from out of the game and Chapman was given an opportunity by Jack Paxman however McKenzie-Lyle saved well.

Papadopoulos had a shot beaten out by Haigh as far as Lisbie but his shot from six yards crashed back off the bar.

As the game went into six minutes of stoppage time, the hosts had one last chance but Coulthirst was unable to get his header on target.

The reward for the Wings is a semi-final trip to Chatham Town whilst Ebbsfleet can now concentrate on their priority, winning promotion.

Ebbsfleet United: Haigh, Paxman (Manktelow 88), Jombati, Domi, Chapman, Lokko, Bullas (Reid 74), McQueen, Romain, Coulthirst, Dreher (Shoolbred 46).

Subs not used: Firth, Lock.

Goalscorers: Jombati pen (16), McQueen (21)

Yellow cards: Haigh, Domi

Red card: Romain (36)

Welling United: Roberts, Barnes, Ezennolim, Cox (Kassarate 40), Parry, Curran, Vendrells-Pacerisa (Maloney 62), Andrews (Dunne 79), Balarabe, Papadopoulos, Lisbie.

Sub not used: Payne, Sendles-White.

Goalscorers: Lisbie (11), Balarabe (49), Ezennolim (54)

Yellow cards: Vendrells-Parcerisa, Andrews, Dunne

Referee: Scott Rudd

Assistants: Benjamin McDonald and Myles Hewson

Attendance: 402

Pictures supplied by Dave Budden.