Ebbsfleet United 1-1 Eastleigh
Ebbsfleet United 1-1 Eastleigh

Alex Reid was on target for Ebbsfleet but his solitary goal was not enough to earn the Fleet their first home win of the season as Tyrone Barnett struck in the second half to earn Eastleigh a share of the spoils at Kuflink Stadium.

The Fleet have endured a frustrating start to the national league season picking up only one win so far this campaign, the Kent side will look back on today’s game feeling the result didn’t reflect the teams overall performance.

Eastleigh enjoyed the majority of possession in the first twenty minutes and were unfortunate not to be in front after two minutes, Jack Payne’s free kick headed just wide by an unmarked Barnett who would eventually make his mark on the game.

The Fleet’s best chance came as Josh Umerah escaped down the right hand side and squared the ball across the box to Reid who was unmarked with the goal at his mercy but was unable to divert his effort into what was an empty net.

Ebbsfleet began the second period in ferocious style and should have doubled their lead when Reid escaped on the left hand side and saw his close range effort saved by Stryjek. Reid had options in the middle but decided to go alone, a glorious chance for the home side which ultimately cost them.

Reid however was not to be denied as the first half came to a close, an identical build up involving Umerah resulted in Reid tapping in from close range after good work from the Fleet’s number 12 put the chance on a plate for the striker. Racing in from the right and placing a similar ball across goal to Reid who made up for his earlier miss to slide in and give the Fleet the lead.

Myles Weston embarked on his 100th appearance for the club and was seemingly fouled inside the area early in the second half, referee Richard Hulme blew as fans expected him to point to the spot. However, fans were left frustrated as the referee decided against a penalty and as a result booked Weston for supposedly diving.

Just as the hour mark passed the visitors began to grab a foothold in the game and made their dominance count as experienced striker Tyrone Barnett burst into the area and fired an effort past Fleet keeper Jordan Holmes, who to his credit got a hand on the effort but the pure power of the strike was enough to beat him.

It was Ben Strevens’ side who ended the game more positively with substitute Marcus Barnes coming closest with an acrobatic effort which narrowly looped over the crossbar.

However, The Fleet upped the tempo in the last 5 minutes and spurned a glorious chance when James Ball received the ball on the edge of the area but his curling effort fell narrowly wide of the post. On reflection Eastleigh will be happy with the point whereas The Fleet will be thinking of what could have been, the wait for a first home win continues.

Ebbsfleet: Holmes, Wilson, King, Cordner, Thomas, Sutherland, Ball, Obileye, Weston, Umerah (Ugwu 77mins), Reid (Biabi 77mins). Subs not used: Palmer, Grimes, Egan

Eastleigh: Stryjek, Partington, Johnson, Boyce, Seaman (Barnes 63mins), Payne, Hollands, McKnight (Miley 83mins), Green, Bennett, Williamson (Rendell 86mins). Subs not used: Baughan, Bearwish

Attendance: 865