East Grinstead Town 1-1 Herne Bay
East Grinstead Town 1-1 Herne Bay

On a big day for East Grinstead Town with Harry Redknapp and Hayley McQueen in attendance; both reading out the teams before the game.

A SKY big screen showing the match live and 472 people in attendance and not forgetting the free Richmond sausages buns served all afternoon except in the committee room.

The football, well that was instantly forgettable as far as Bay supporters were concerned. A very tired looking Bay laboured against a 10-man Wasps side who had their keeper sent off after only 15 minutes of play.

Unfortunately Bay also lost Ronald Sobowale who had to go to Hospital with a serious damage to his mouth after being taken out by the keeper. As the game progressed with the stand-in keeper making a number of good saves it felt like Ronald’s loss was a bigger blow to Bay than the loss of their keeper was for East Grinstead.

Bay started the game on the front foot and pressed hard for the opening goal but it was soon clear why East Grinstead have shown a rapid improvement in their results.

Their football was slick and their quality of passing was really good as they regularly played their way through Bay’s defence with confident one touch football. Following the keeper’s dismissal and a 5 minute stoppage they broke away and worked the ball into Bay’s penalty area and following a neat one-two between Orlando Smith and Jerson Dos Santos the ball was passed through to Lee Prescott who smashed the ball wide of Simon Overland from 6 yards.

Despite having only 10 men it was the home side who played the better football and Overland was forced into making a number a fine saves.

Danny Leonard made a couple of good surging runs through the Wasps defence and Leo Mazzone, the stand in keeper, was forced to save with his feet from his low drive. Unfortunately for Mazzone, 3 minutes later, he failed to keep hold of Alex Mulrooney-Skinner shot and Connor Wilkins was on hand to knock in the loose ball to bring Bay level.

Back came East Grinstead again forcing Overland into another couple of brilliant saves. Bay finished the half strongly with Danny Rumbol shooting from 20 yards inches wide and then Mazzone getting fingertips to Leonard’s low shot to deflect the ball onto the upright.

It was Leonard in the 2nd period who had Bay’s first goal attempt of the half trying to lob the keeper from within his own half but the ball flew just too high over the bar. The rest of the half belonged to the hosts as they pressed forward relentlessly but Overland was in fine form producing save after save. Simon Kabamba came to Bay’s rescue, making two fantastic goal mouth clearances to keep Bay in the game.

Bay did have their chances particularly in the latter stages; Bradley Schafer put Leonard through but again the keeper saved well and minutes before the end Ben Gorham possibly had the best chance of the game but his close range shot was brilliantly saved by Mazzone. At the end Bay were pleased and rather fortunate to come away with a point. Mazzone getting the man of the match award from Harry.

Herne Bay: Simon Overland, Alex Mulrooney-Skinner, Raphe Brown, Ben Gorham, Danny Rumbol, Callum Adonis-Taylor, Bradley Schafer, Harry Miller, Tahjae Anderson, Ronald Sobowale, Connor Wilkins

Subs Used: Danny Rumbol (Sobowale 24) Simon Kabamba (Miller 42) Emmanuel Oluwasemo(Anderson 60)

Subs not used: Matthew Hathaway, Lewis Risk

Att: 472