Dorking Wanderers 2-0 Welling United
Dorking Wanderers 2-0 Welling United

Welling United’s mini resurgence was ended with defeat at Dorking Wanderers.


Goals by Jimmy Muitt in the twenty-fifth minute and Jack Barham, just shy of the hour mark, consigned the Wings to another disappointing blank day on the road.

As a result, Welling dropped into seventeenth place and are again looking over their shoulders.

It was frustrating for Mark Goldberg’s team as they started brightly and Dorking were indebted to goalkeeper Slovomir Huk for not going behind.

He started with an excellent double save from Anthony Cook and Moses Emmanuel. Cook then headed wide before being brought down on the edge of the area and drawing an excellent bottom corner save out of the Dorking custodian.


Bradley Goldberg then had an effort saved comfortably by Huk before Dorking had their first sight on goal when Muitt got on the end of Tom Richards’ ball over the top but lobbed well over.

Muitt’s next involvement was more decisive. He found space out on the right hand side and fired his shot across Dan Wilks and just inside the far post.

Emmanuel had a shot blocked out by Huk before Dorking had another chance when Wilks had to push out a Daniel Gallagher header as the centre back got on the end of a deep corner. Matthew Briggs was brought down on the edge of the area but Richards’ free kick and follow up were both blocked as Welling’s defensive wall held firm.

For the second week running, Welling were forced to make a change at centre back at half-time with Rob Swaine unable to continue. Jay Rich-Baghuelou replaced him.


Dan Gallagher found Muitt in space and he closed in on goal before shooting just wide then James McShane went close with a curler that wasn’t far beyond the far post. Muitt sent another over then McShane fired across the face of goal.

Although a second goal always looked on the cards, it was disappointing for Welling the way that it was conceded. Connor Dymond looked in no trouble but his pass went straight to Jack Barham and the striker, who spent a month on loan at Welling last season, made no mistake with a clinical finish.

Adam Coombes and Aaron Cosgrave were introduced with Dymond and Goldberg withdrawn but it made little difference as the Wanderers were rarely troubled. In fact, they might have gone further ahead when Ed Harris headed wide when getting onto the end of a deep free kick.

McShane tried his luck with a long range shot but Wilks made a comfortable save before Welling came desperately close to reducing the arrears. Cook’s free kick was met by Coombes but his header flew just over with Huk beaten. 

That was as close as Welling came to getting back into the game and the scoreline could have been worse but for Wilks making a good save from Briggs.

Dorking Wanderers: Huk, Beard, Harris, Taylor (Beckles 82), D. Gallagher, Richards, Muitt (Sole 68), McShane (McManus 79), J. Gallagher, Briggs, Barham.

Subs not used: None.

Welling United: Wilks, Johnson, Anderson, Dymond (Cosgrave 60), Swaine (Rich-Baghuelou 46), Okosieme, Widdrington, Agyemang, Emmanuel, Goldberg (Coombes 60), Cook.

Subs not used: Green, Anau.

Referee: Robert Whitton

Assistants: Neil Fyfield and Jonathan Bolland

Attendance: 765