Dartford 2-2 Maidstone United
Dartford 2-2 Maidstone United

Dartford & Maidstone met for the 106th time and it turned out to be a dramatic end to this meeting. Dartford seemed dead and buried but in the final 10 minutes clawed a point out of it.

The first half was a non event as both sides gave the ball away and did not show any class.

Maidstone’s Nana Kyei was the exception as he had three chances to score, as early as the fifth minute a Dan Wishart cross saw Kyei head wide from 10 yards.

12 minutes later his mazy run ended with him shooting wide and finally in the 33rd minute he saw his shot from the left saved.

Meanwhile Dartford had not mustered one shot on target and had to wait until the 39th minute to fashion their first chance.

Luke Wanadio on the left wing beat his defender and from the by-line his low cross caused confusion in the Maidstone defence before being cleared.

The second witnessed a signnificant upgrade in quality. Maidstone changed formation with Matt McClure coming on and going upfront with Ibby Akanbi.

Kyei nearly scored with his fourth chance when he controlled a ball into the area and from 8 yards his shot under pressure went just past the post.

Dartford had their first chance of the half in the 54th minute Jordan Gibbons saw his cross to the back post find Any Pugh but he headed over the bar.

However, in the space of three minutes Maidstone scored two goals, firstly Gavin Hoyte on the overlap got to the by-line & his low cross was bundled in by Wishart.

Moments later Akanbi received the ball on the left wing and cut inside before shooting home from 15 yards.

Dartford were stunned by this but carried on playing football and trying to get back into the game.

In the 68th minute a Ryan Hayes cross into the area was half cleared to Luke Allen who saw his shot from 20 yards saved by Jake Cole, this would be Dartford’s first real chance and first genuine shot on target.

In the 82nd minute it could have been curtains for Dartford when a ball into their area bounced around allowing Kyei to have a snapshot at goal but his effort flew over the bar.

Time was running out for Dartford as they threw caution to the wind and attacked the Maidstone Goal.

In the 86th minute Dartford got a goal which could have been a consolation one. A corner into the back post was headed back across goal where Tom Bonner was and he headed in from 5 yards.

Two minutes later they nearly got the equaliser when Ryan Hayes’ cross to the back post was partially cleared to Allen and his first time shot was blocked.

However in the very next minute Dartford equalised, a long diagonal ball forward saw Darren McQueen latch onto it. His shot from the edge of the area was t superbly saved but came back to him and from 15 yards he shot into the net.

There were still another 4 minutes to go & Dartford tried their luck to get a winner but Maidstone held on to ensure honours ended even.

Both sides will have another go at each other next week this time in the FA Trophy.

Dartford: Smith, Gibbons, Gordon, Crook, Hill, Bonner, Wanadio (Hayes 66mins), Allen, Romain, Pugh (Wabo 63mins), Marsh Brown (McQueen 55mins).

Subs not used: Brodie, Vint.

Maidstone: Cole, Hoyte, Pennell (McClure 46mins), Elokobi, Chesmain, Johnson, James (Marshall 69mins), Khan, Kyei, Akanbi, Wishart.

Subs not used: Embery, Lewington, Allen.

Attendance: 2,148