KSN are proud to support:

Cray Valley PM 1-5 Hampton and Richmond Borough
Cray Valley PM 1-5 Hampton and Richmond Borough

Ruthless Hampton and Richmond Borough ended Cray Valley PM’s FA Trophy hopes with a convincing win in Eltham.

Following their battles with Charlton Athletic in the FA Cup, the match probably came too soon for the Millers with emotional and physical fatigue inevitable, but that’s not to take anything away from the Beavers who won well.

In the early stages, Cray looked lively and Kyrell Lisbie created a chance by nicking it away, moving wide and firing a shot that a deflection took into goalkeeper Adam Debois’ grasp. He had another chance when a block dropped to him but he could only volley low, and straight at Debois.

Denzel Gayle then had a shot from the right that Debois could only beat out before Hampton had their first chance when Alfy Whiitingham met a deep free kick out wide with a header that was saved comfortably by Max Ovenden.

Cem Tumkaya headed wide for Cray from a Barney Williams free kick then Hampton didn’t make the most of an opportunity when Rob Hall got in behind but failed to get his low shot on target.

However, the Beavers made no mistake with their next opportunity. Hall squared, George Nunn flicked it on, and Isaac Pitblado stole in and made no mistake from close range.

Gayle might have levelled soon after when his shot struck Jordan Cheadle’s leg. It could have gone anywhere and the Hampton defender looked on with relief as it flew out for a corner.

Games can swing on pivotal moments and had that have gone in the match might have changed. However, Hampton scored in their next attack leaving the hosts with a mountain to climb. Hall delivered a free kick and Dean Inman’s header flew home.

Tom Chambers hit a low shot into the side netting after Lisbie set him free from a swift Cray break, Lisbie then had a shot deflected out, and Gayle hit a first time shot over before the first half came to an end.

Shortly after the break, Pitbaldo hit a shot the fizzed just beyond the angle of bar and post then Whiitingham got in behind but Max Ovenden made himself big to block. However, there was nothing that the Cray goalkeeper could do to stop Hampton from making it three. A route one pass over the top sent George Hunt free and he made no mistake with an excellent finish.

Calvin Ekpiteta was given space on the edge of the area but his first time effort flew over then Gayle had a shot deflected wide. At the other end Connor Kurran-Browne shot wide of the far post.

Julien Anau headed wide from a Clement Asiedu cross for Cray before Hampton scored twice more in a four minute spell. Hall delivered a corner that fell for Nunn and he bundled home from close range, then Whittingham was sent clear and he fired high into the net.

Cray pulled one back with ten minutes remaining when Lisbie’s pace took him clear and he fired home powerfully then Sonny Black was given space outside the area and his shot clattered the bar.

Whittingham had the last chance of the match but Ovenden did well to save with his feet.

Now that their FA Cup and FA Trophy campaigns are over, Steve McKimm’s Millers can start to catch up on the Isthmian South East backlog and they are in action on Tuesday when the entertain Merstham.

Cray Valley PM: Ovenden, Williams, Chambers, Vigor (Asiedu 67), Oshilaja (Lee 46), Tumkaya, Gayle, Black, Ekpiteta (Ademiluyi 81), Anau, Lisbie. Unused subs: Freeman, Gilchrist, Turner, Wicks.

Goalscorers: Lisbie (80)

Yellow cards: Williams, Oshilaja

Hampton and Richmond Borough: Desbois, Soloman (Thomas 66), Pitblado, Hunt (Deadfield 67), Inman, Cheadle, Hall, Whittingham, Dunne (Gray 57), Nunn, Kurran-Browne, Subs not used: Donaldson, Wishart, Bloomfield, Fernandez.

Goal scorers: Pitaldo (25), Inman (34). Hunt (56), Nunn (72), Whittingham (76).

Yellow cards: None

Referee: Chris Williams

Assistants: Bruno Marques and Daniel Smith

Attendance: 205

Images courtesy of Dave Budden