Consett 2-0 Deal Town
Consett 2-0 Deal Town

The Hoops exited the FA Vase on Saturday after suffering defeat to Northern League promotion chasers Consett AFC

(Photo credit Gary Welford) Arjan Purewal puts Consett 2-0 up with a header.

The game started timidly as both teams attempted to figure out each others game plans. Deal Town had the first chance in the 10th minute as Dean Chapman was centimeters away from connecting to a cross from the left wing. 

Neither goalkeeper was tested until the 36th minute. Ali Alshabeeb forced Hoops goalkeeper James Tonkin into making a smart save after Dean Briggs played in the midfielder behind the defence. 

A factor for the lack of chances in the opening half has to have been the blistering windy conditions at Belle Vue Stadium. This didn’t hinder healthy support from both sides fan bases with a fantastic attendance of 866. A record in a competitive fixture for Consett.

The Steelmen familiar to their surroundings looked a lot more comfortable in the second half. Visitors, Deal struggled to match their tempo meaning Consett controlled most of the half. 

Jake Orrell was inches away from finishing a swift move for Consett in the 54th minute. Attacking duo Luke Carr and Dale Pearson played some great link up play before the ball was fired across the box towards Orrell who couldn’t finish the move off right next to the opposition goal.

Eventually, the home sides pressure paid off as they took the lead through Carr. An FA Vase winner previously with Morpeth Town, Carr, helped on a through ball from Alshabeeb inside the box. It took Consett 76 minutes to break the deadlock and the second goal arrived soon after.

Just seven minutes after Carr’s opener The Hoops were 2-0 down when Arjan Purewal headed his side into a bigger lead. Consett’s captain flicked his header past Tonkin into the far corner of the goal, 2-0 and game over.

It was nearly worse for the Kent side as Dale Pearson thought he gave his side a three goal lead in the 90th minute. The forward thought he beat the offside trap before slotting the ball home into the back of the net. The official on the far side deemed him offside and the game finished 2-0 to Consett.

This is the furthest the victorious side has gone in the FA Vase by being in the quarter finals of this prestigious tournament. 

Consett joined Hebburn Town, Corinthian FC, Leighton Town FC, Plymouth PFC, Wroxham FC and Bitton AFC in the quarterfinals of the Vase. FC Atherstone and Worcester City FC have to play a replay to decide the final team in the last eight.

Consett AFC XI: Hayes, Metz, Purewal (C), Allen, Holden, Smith, Briggs, Orrell, Alshabeeb, Carr and Pearson.

Subs: Jakab, Bridge, Marriott, Hawkins, Russell, McAloon and Mackay.

Deal Town XI: Tonkin, Paxman, Hark, Foster, Smith, Munday, Scott, Chapman, Coyne, Walsh, O’Brien 

Subs: Bigginton, Penny, Lewis, Maughan, Murray, Reeves, Cardwell

Attendance: 866