KSN are proud to support:

Concord Rangers 2-1 Welling United
Concord Rangers 2-1 Welling United

Having guaranteed safety five days earlier, a much changed Welling United side fell to defeat at Concord Rangers.

Coniah Boyce-Clarke and Ben Margetson were allowed to return to their parent clubs, Dipo Akinyemi was injured, Alfie Matthews suspended and Jamie Sendles-White rested. As a result, Henry Burnett was awarded his Welling league debut and striker Tom Derry played at centre back.

Sendles-White’s rest was short-lived as Bradley Pearce was injured and he had to be replaced in the tenth minute.

Chi Ezennolim blocked a shot from Alex Hernandez before Welling had their first opportunity, a shot by Mason Saunders-Henry that was claimed comfortably by Myles Roberts. Ade Shokunbi fired a shot that hit Jayden Randell and flew over, then Harvey Bradbury headed wide from a Ben Wells corner.

Saunders-Henry again tried his luck, but it curled away from the far post. However, Bradbury threw himself at it and almost turned it in. 

Eventually, Welling’s pressure told, and they went ahead. Ezennolim was shown the inside by the Concord defence, and he took the invitation to let fly with his right foot and his drive from the edge of the area flew in off the underside of the bar.

Hernandez glanced a header wide for the hosts before Shokunbi found Saunders-Henry. Although his effort was blocked, it fell into the path of Bradbury whose first time shot flew just wide.

Ryle Scott came close to levelling moments before half time with a twenty-five yard drive that rattled the bar,

After the interval Ezennolim had a shot charged down by former Wing Ryan Blackburn before Aaron Barnes got in behind. Roberts did well to keep him out, but it fell to Bradbury. However, he was off balance, and could only hook it over.

Scott sent a low free kick wide, but Sam Jackman had it covered anyway, then the Welling goalkeeper saved a shot from Danny Green that was hit straight at him. 

Former Bromley striker Ben Williamson fired over before Concord drew level. Lamar Reynolds’ cross struck a Welling arm, and a penalty was awarded. Blackman stepped up and sent Jackson the wrong way.

Reynolds again made space, but his shot hit the outside of the post before Ben Allen hit a free kick for Welling that went well over.

Deep into injury time, Concord went ahead when Reynolds crossed and Green headed home. Welling had one last chance when awarded a free kick midway inside the Concord half. Jackson went up and met Ezennolim’s delivery with a header, but it flew wide.

Concord Rangers: Roberts, Reynolds, Popo, Ramsey (Scott 26), Randell, Payne, Green, Blackman, Williamson, Hernandez (Babalola 61), Search (Blanchfield 71).

Subs not used: Gordon-Stern, Carter.

Goalscorers: Blackman pen (78), Green (90+4) 

Yellow cards: Blanchfield, Blackman

Welling United: Jackson, Statham, Ezennolim, Wells, Pearce (Sendles-White 10), Derry, Barnes (Stevenson 68), Shokunbi, Bradbury, Mason-Saunders, Burnett (Allen 61).

Sub not used: Sinclair.

Goalscorers: Ezennolim (27)

Yellow cards: Bradbury 

Referee: Farai Hallam

Assistants: Alex Mathieson and Rudin Preca

Attendance: 667

Pictures supplied by Dave Budden.