Chippenham Town 1-3 Welling United
Chippenham Town 1-3 Welling United

Following three poor results, Welling United showed no lack of confidence and claimed a well deserved three points at Chippenham Town.

It was Peter Taylor’s second match in charge and the two new signings that he made enjoyed excellent debuts. Due to an injury to their first choice goalkeeper, Tom Smith, the new Welling manager brought in free agent Jack Sims and he hardly put a foot wrong. He also signed O’Shane Stewart on loan from Southend United, and his energy in midfield rubbed off on all of his team-mates.

Adam Mann had the first chance to get a shot away for the hosts but his shot had no power and Sims was able to pick it up easily for an early feel of the ball. Danny Greenslade then headed into the side netting causing excitement in some areas of the ground but it hit the net from the outside.

Kristian Campbell launched a free kick for Welling well over the bar before a very optimistic Callum Gunner let fly from over thirty yards out and shot high and wide. Joe Hanks had a free kick saved comfortably by Sims but it was the Wings who went ahead. 

Daniel Carr collected Campbell’s pass and his great turn and vicious shot left Will Henry helpless in the Chippenham goal.

Harvey Bunker missed a chance to level when it fell nicely for him but he blasted over however, Welling could not hold on until the break as the Bluebirds were awarded a disputed free kick two minutes into injury time. Mann took the responsibility and blasted home beyond a despairing Sims.

Four minutes after the break, Carr had to be replaced by Dipo Akinyemi and after Will Richards had screwed wide from Luke Russe’s pull back, the Welling substitute made his mark. Stewart sent in a great cross and Akinyemi met it at the near post with an excellent finish.

After a further three minutes, Welling extended their lead. Aaron Barnes got on the end of a good team move and drove forward before laying it into the path of Che Krabbendam who never looked like missing as he fired into the bottom corner.

On the hour mark, Chippenham missed a great chance to get back into the game. Sims made a superb save from Hanks but in the goalmouth chaos that followed a lunging Welling challenge resulted n the award of a penalty. Ross Stearn, who had only just come on as a substitute took the responsibility. Although he sent Sims the wrong way, it hit the inside of the post and rolled across the face of goal before going out of play beyond the other upright.

Campbell went on a long surging run but could not find the power to trouble Henry then Barnes shot just wide after combining well with Akinyemi.

Chippenham thought that they had pulled one back with ten minutes remaining when Hanks hooked home but an offside flag curtailed his joy.

Deep into injury time, Marlon Jackson had a shot tipped over acrobatically by Sims but shortly after, Welling were celebrating their first points away from home this season.

Chippenham Town: Henry, Greenslade, Russe, Hamilton, Parselle, Roberts, Bunker, Hanks, Jackson, Mann, Gunner (D’Abadia 66).

Subs not used: Elechi, Griffiths, King, Stearn.

Goalscorers: Mann (45+)

Yellow cards: Parselle

Red cards: None

Welling United: Sims, Barnes (Ezennolim 87), Pepe, Durojaiye, Perkins, Pearce, Shokunbi, Stewart, Carr (Akinyemki 49), Krabbendam (Stevenson 79), Campbell.

Subs not used: Hinds, Assidjo.

Goalscorers: Carr (34), Akinyemi (53), Krabbendam (57)

Yellow cards: Perkins, Krabbendam

Red cards: None

Referee: Marc Whaley 

Assistants: Alan Berrow and Liam Beames