Chatham Town 2-0 Hollands & Blair
Chatham Town 2-0 Hollands & Blair

It was a semi-final derby at The Bauvill Stadium as Chatham Town took on Hollands & Blair, with the Chats progressing to their first final in nearly twenty years when the last time they were in a final for the Kent Senior Trophy was in 1999-2000 against Deal Town when they were runners up. 

Report by Alfie Hill and Ethan Fergusson

It was a slow start to the KST semi-final though as it was a bit of a lethargic first half. However, Blair looked the better side to start after getting the first clear cut chance of the game on the 8th minute. The ball fell to number 8 Ross Ibbertson who managed to take a shot on which squeezed through the defense, but it couldn’t beat Dan Ellis in goal. Just ten minutes later Blair had another chance when the ball come into the box, Keiran Sharp was the first to get his head to the ball after rising highest but his header was saved by Ellis. This attacking play fizzled out after this chance with both teams not being able to move the ball into their opposition’s half.

But as the game progressed Chatham finally broke through and looked to make it 1-0 on the 26th minute. Matt Bodkin’s burst of pace allowed him to get past the defensive line and a nice piece of skill allowed him to set himself up for the shot. However, Bodkin’s lofted shot from the edge of the box hit the crossbar but this then led to a chance for Richard Avery in the box, but his chance was saved by Shannon Harris. Chatham looked to have found their stride after this as they started to pile on the pressure with even more chances. The first chance coming from this attacking stride fell to Jack Evans who struck the ball sweetly on the half volley, but it was deflected out for a corner. This corner produced a spectacular chance, but a Chatham shirt just couldn’t convert. Just on the brink of half time it should have been 1-0 to Chatham as the ball come in from a free kick, lined up perfectly for Paul Vines but his header took the ball past the post.

Nick Dunn then blew his whistle to end the half at 0-0 with both teams looking on par with each other.


The second half got underway and looked as if it was going to play out like the first, but suddenly, Byron Walker should’ve made it 1-0 to Chatham on the 53rd minute. The cross come in and fell to Walker who just had to tap the ball in, but it looked as if he didn’t get a connection as the ball flew over the crossbar. However, Walker corrected his mistake on the 66th minute. A lovely ball from Matt Parsons came into the box and Walker got to it first and flicked the ball past the keeper to make it 1-0.

Once again the attacking play then fizzled out with both teams struggling to create a play that would see them get into the opposing half. However Chatham took it up a notch and were rewarded when Walker was brought down within the box. Vines then stepped up to take the penalty and as cool as you like, placed it into the net making it 2-0 on the 78th minute.  Chatham could’ve had a third just minutes later when Bodkin ran straight through a switched off Blair defense, allowing him to get one on one with Harris in goal but it was Harris who managed to come out on top.

Dunn then blew his whistle signifying to Chatham fans that they will be seeing their team in the final. Both teams gave it their all and produced an even semi-final which will be remembered.

Chatham Town: Dan Ellis, James Fray, Matt Parsons, Reece Butler, Richard Avery, Corey Walters-Wright, Jon Pilbeam, Jack Evans, Paul Vines (Captain), Byron Walker and Matt Bodkin.

Subs: Danny Grant for James Fray (86th Minute).

Subs not used: Ben Davisson, Tom Fitzgerald, Michael Hagan and Ben Nourse.

Yellow Cards: N/A

Red Cards: N/A

Hollands & Blair: Shannon Harris, Ed Morant, Reiss Crimmen, Jason Mensah, Calvin Sedenu, Keiran Sharp, Jack Simon, Ross Ibbertson, Jason Frebene, Rob Denness (Captain) and Jordan Gallagher.

Subs: Jordan Gallagher for Callum Peck (39th Minute), Harrison Pont for Jason Mensah (79th Minute) and Charlie Plummer for Ross Ibbertson (90th Minute).

Yellow Cards: Jason Frebene (9th Minute).

Red Cards: N/A

Referee: Nick Dunn

Assistants: Dan Blades and Michael Butcher.

Attendance: 268