Chatham Town 1-1 Erith and Belvedere
Chatham Town 1-1 Erith and Belvedere

Chatham tried to extend their lead at the top of the table today at The Bauvill Stadium when they hosted Erith & Belvedere. However, Chatham had to settle for just the one point as Erith grabbed a controversial equaliser.

Chatham came out exceptionally well and dominated possession from early on which paid off on in the 30th minute when Josh Beadle found the back of the net, giving him his first goal for The Chats. 

However, Beadle’s goal was cancelled out by Baba Adeniran’s chance, securing a point for Erith & Belvedere.

Chatham got the game underway and within five minutes, they had two great chances. The first falling in the second minute to Michael Hagan. Matt Bodkin ran onto the ball and played it across for Hagan, but his shot was stopped by a great save from Daniel Teeley.

Just a minute later Bodkin had a chance for himself, but his shot was too weak and led to a comfortable save. 

Chatham continued to press for a goal and started to play some incredible football. An unbelievable ball from Jack Evans on the 10th minute picked out Hagan who then swung in a cross from the right wing for Josh Jackson, but Jackson’s shot was saved by Teeley’s quick reactions.

Hagan grabbed another chance in the 21st minute after a good cross from Evans pierced the defense. However his shot was blocked and put out for a corner.

Chatham continued to press on and Erith finally cracked under all the attacking pressure in the 30th minute. A corner proved too hot to handle for Erith and the ball fell to Beadle who had the job of putting it home and he did just that, making it 1-0 to the league leaders.

The Chats weren’t done there and they continued to press on almost making it two in the 35th minute when Paul Vines rose highest to head the ball goal bound, but the ball just whistled past the post.

Hagan had a chance for himself in the 38th minute. He managed to get himself one on one with Teely but was denied.

Erith & Belvedere had to come up with something before the end of the half and managed to do so when Arthur Feudjiro twisted and turned his way into a shooting position that forced Jordan Carey to push the ball away.

Erith finally found their shooting boots after Feudjiro’s chance and almost grabbed an equaliser when Kamieko Pope-Campbell curled one in towards the bottom right corner, but Carey pulled off another fantastic save to preserve Chatham’s lead.

Erith got us underway for the second half and almost grabbed an equaliser in the first minute. Jacob Kalonda took a shot on which almost paid off as it just skimmed past the post.

Pope-Campbell then had a chance of his own which forced Carey to parry it out for a corner on the 51st minute.  

Chatham then responded to Erith’s attacking threat by pushing up the field and it nearly paid off. Evans almost made it two after his shot on the left-hand side of the box floated over the bar in the 62nd minute.  

Erith then created a chance of their own when Feudjiro took another shot but yet again, Carey was there to make the save in the 63rd minute.

However, Erith’s chances finally paid off in the 72nd minute. Baba Adeniran took a shot which Carey saved on the line, but the ref decided that the ball had crossed the line.

After this equaliser, the game began to die out with both teams having a few chances to break the deadlock but neither could.

Chatham Town: Jordan Carey, Matthew Achuba (Joe Kane), George Sheminant, Josh Beadle (Pat Geddis), Leon Smith, Justyn Roberts, Matt Bodkin, Jack Evans, Paul Vines, Josh Jackson (Luis Dos Santos) and Michael Hagan.  

Subs Not Used: Danny Fitzsimons and Dan Ellis. 

Goal Scorer: Josh Beadle (30th Minute) 

Erith & Belvedere FC: Daniel Teeley, Tony Hill, Connor Dobson, Eric De Mallo (Jerom Wade), Reggie Yembara, George Jones, Arthur Feudjiro, Chan Quan, Kamieko Pope-Campbell, Romyale Wade (Baba Adeniran) and Jacob Kalonda (Osita Isichei)

Subs Not Used: Guyliano Tresor and Lewis Mitchell

Yellow Cards: George Jones (84th Minute) and Baba Adeniran (88th Minute) 

Goal Scorer: Baba Adeniran (72nd Minute) 

Referee: Mr B Al-Shaikh  

Assistant Referees: Mr G Smart and Mr M Sell 

Attendance: 309