Charlton book Wembley spot
Charlton book Wembley spot

Charlton will be going to Wembley for the first time in 21 years after a night of high drama at The Valley.

Krystian Bielik restored the Addicks’ two goal advantage in the second minute, but Tommy Rowe levelled things on the night nine minutes later.

Bielik headed in a clever Josh Cullen free-kick, Rowe drilled home a low shot from the edge of the box after hesitancy in the Charlton defence.

Though Lee Bowyer fielded an unchanged team, he reverted back to his diamond formation. Young Albie Morgan was struggling to make the impact he made on Sunday, and was replaced by Darren Pratley at the interval.

Doncaster were more of a threat than they were at the Keepmoat on Sunday, and gave Bowyer’s team some anxious moments‎, but the hosts did seem to be heading for a date at Wembley with Sunderland.

But Rovers’ skipper,‎ Andy Butler levelled the aggregate score two minutes from time.

The Valley was a cacophony of noise all evening, but fell briefly silent when former Millwall striker, John Marquis, gave Rovers the aggregate lead in the first period of extra-time.

Fortunately for the Addicks the lead lasted barely a minute before Pratley touched home a driven Lyle Taylor cross.

Everyone’s nerves were shredded after a dramatic 120 minutes, but they still had to witness a penalty shoot-out.

It took place at the Covered End, with Charlton going first.

Chris Solly,  ‎Josh Cullen, Taylor and Joe Aribo all converted with crisp shots. Doncaster replied three times before former Millwall man, Marquis, was foiled by Dillon Phillips.

Cult hero, Naby Sarr, stepped up to take the fifth penalty which would have taken the Addicks to Wembley. Alas, the keeper read his intentions and made the save.

Next up was Rowe – arguably Rovers’ best player on the night. He needed to score to send the game into sudden death. Sadly for him, he shot wide.

‎Cue absolute bedlam on the pitch and in the stands. The fans spilled onto the pitch in absolute delirium.

The 21 year wait is over, the reds are going to Wembley.


Charlton: Phillips; Dijksteel, Bauer , Sarr, Purrington; Bielik (Solly 110), Cullen, Morgan (Pratley 46), Aribo; Taylor, Parker (Williams 96).

Subs (not used): Maxwell, Pearce, Lapslie, Forster-Caskey.‎

Goals: Bielik 2, Pratley 102.‎

Booked: Bielik 38 (foul), Jackson 89 (dissent), Aribo 113 (foul), Pratley 120 (foul).‎

Penalties: Solly (scored), Cullen (scored), Taylor (scored), Aribo (scored), Sarr (saved).

Doncaster: ‎Marosi, Andrew, Butler, Wilks (Wright 105), Whiteman, Marquis, Rowe (C), Kane (Crawford 80), Blair (May, 86), Coppinger (Sadlier 96), Downing.

Subs (not used): Lawlor, Anderson, Beeston.

Goals: Rowe 11, Butler 88, Marquis 100.‎

Booked: Downing 48 (foul), Whiteman 60 (foul ), Butler 70 (foul), Marosi 120 (time-wasting).‎


Referee:‎ Gavin Ward (Surrey).‎

Attn: 25,428 (1,351 from Doncaster).‎