Charlton Athletic 2-1 Burton Albion
Charlton Athletic 2-1 Burton Albion
Charlton beat Burton 2-1‎ at a cold, damp Valley on Tuesday evening, thanks to a Lyle Taylor penalty and a header from Ben Reeves with a Lucas Akins penalty sandwiched between.

This was Burton’s first league defeat on the road since they lost 2-0 at Luton, three days‎ before Christmas.
It was not one of the Addicks’ more sparkling performances, but at this stage of the season, the result is all that matters. Lee Bowyer’s side are now eleven points clear of seventh placed Peterborough.
Bowyer made four changes to the team that beat Portsmouth so impressively on Saturday. Chris Solly returned at right-back in place of Anfernee Dijksteel, who dropped to the bench.
Ben Reeves and Tariqe Fosu came in for injured midfield pair, Krystian Bielik and Jonny Williams, while Josh Parker replaced Igor Vetokele up front.
The game started in lively fashion, and Fosu hit the underside of the bar after only 3 minutes, but Charlton only had to wait another three minutes before taking the lead.
Lyle Taylor was hauled down in the box, but got up to tuck the resulting penalty away.
The Brewers restored parity after 19 minutes. Patrick Bauer was struck on the arm by a shot from point blank range.
Referee, Thomas Bramall pointed to the spot, and Lucas Akins did the rest.
Reeves completed the scoring after 33 minutes, when he headed home a fiercely driven Taylor cross.
The second-half lacked the usual intensity, but after the effort that went into the Portsmouth game, it was hardly surprising.
Josh Cullen had another fine game, and though he went straight to the dressing room after being subbed, Joe Aribo did not appear to have taken a knock.
It was a solid, rather than spectacular performance, something Bowyer alluded to at his post match press conference:
“They dug in deep tonight. I think we looked a little bit tired. I thought the fans helped us get through it.
“Second half they (the fans) could tell, the players put so much in to Saturday and then the quick turnaround. Burton had an extra 24 hours rest on us so I’m proud of them.

“Was this the best game we’ve played? No, but sometimes you’ve just got to dig in and grind out results.

“Like I’ve said before, in the past we probably wouldn’t have won that game but the mentality and the spirit that we have, with the fans, is helping us. We’re in a good place.”

“We’ve had very good starts in games in the last few and creating chances. I don’t think we took our foot off the peddle, it was just hard today.
“The pitch was so heavy, we had a lot of rain today and the groundsman did very well to get the game on. It’s been a tough few days but we dug deep and now we’ve got to get ready for Saturday because that is going to be another tough one.
“Our recovery now is the most important thing, said the boss  ‎
A trip to Bristol Rovers on Saturday is up next for the Addicks.
Charlton: ‎Phillips; Solly, Bauer, Sarr, Purrington; Cullen, Reeves (Marshall, 90), Aribo (Lapslie, 70), Fosu (Vetokele, 80); Parker, Taylor.

Subs (not used): ‎Maxwell, Dijksteel, Pearce, Pratley.

Goals: Taylor 5 (pen), Reeves 33.‎

Burton: ‎Collin; Brayford, McFadzean,  Daniel, Buxton (Ckarke 88); Fraser, Quinn, Allen; Akins, Harness (Miller 76), Templeton (Boyce 58).

Subs(not used): Bywater, Bradley, Hutchinson, Wallace‎.

Goal: Akins 18 (pen).

Referee: Thomas Bramall‎.

Attn: 9,505 (156 Burton).‎