Bromley 2-0 Torquay United
Bromley 2-0 Torquay United

Bromley made it five wins in a row with a solid display against Torquay in front of the BT Sport Cameras at Hayes Lane on Saturday courtesy of two excellent first half goals from Marcus Sablier and Omar Sowunmi. 

Prior to the start of the match Bromley unveiled a banner in support of two long standing fans in Dave Roberts & Jim Brown who will have been at home watching the game on TV and are part of the fabric of the club.

The game got off to a fast pace open start, with both sides looking to get the ball forward early, Sablier put an early chance over from a corner, but after seventeen minutes he got on the score sheet with his first goal in senior football.

Luke Coulson played the ball down the right to George Alexander who crossed for Sablier ten yards out who spectacularly met the ball on the volley in mid air and sent it crashing into the roof of the net for 1-0.

Chris Bush went close with a low well struck drive from a free kick soon after, before Lemonheigh Evans had a shot saved at the other end for The Gulls.

After a quiet spell Tom Lapslie went close after being given time and space on the edge of the box as Torquay pressed, but despite having lots of possession they didn’t really create any clear chances.

Late in the half Bromley doubled their lead when The Gulls failed to clear a free kick and it after Byron Webster had a shot blocked it eventually fell to Sowunmi who drove the ball high into the net through a crowded penalty area for 2-0.

Torquay again pressed from there, but could not find a way through the Bromley defence. 

The second half saw the ever impressive Corey Whitely fire into the side netting early on and then after a long spell of possession from Torquay, Coulson had a shot saved by Shaun MacDonald after cutting in from the right.

The Gulls continued to have more of the ball and press, but they still couldn’t make the break through, Klado Lolos headed over from a Keelan O’Connell cross and Chiori Johnson fired over soon after, while Bromley always looked dangerous on the break.

Coulson crossed for Whitely who headed wide and Whitely was then denied by MacDonald after good work from Michael Cheek and Louis Dennis.

Torquay had another strong spell when Joe Lewis latched on to a Lapslie ball, but he shot narrowly wide and he went even closer following a series of corner when he headed against the inside of the post only for the ball to bounce out and eventually be gathered by Mark Cousins.

Late on The Ravens created more chances on the break, Whitely had a shot saved before James Alabi played in Cheek who couldn’t quite get enough power on his dinked effort over MacDonald and the ball was cleared to safety.

Alabi and Cheek then combined again on the break to set up Dennis whose shot was saved by The Gulls keeper.

Bromley saw the game out from there to secure the three points and move up to fifth in the table. Andy Woodman’s side continue to impress, looking solid at the back, quick on the counter attack and scoring some very nice goals. 

The Ravens now travel to Hungerford Town next Saturday in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round looking to make the first round again and continue their strong start to the season.

Bromley: Cousins, Sowunmi, Webster, Bush, Coulson, Trotter (Skeffington 77), Sablier (Dennis 62), Bingham, Whitely, Cheek, Alexander (Alabi 56).

Subs Not Used: Lawlor, Forster. 

Torquay: MacDonald, Wynter, Martin (O’Connell 65), Lapslie, Evans, Hall, Little, Johnson (Omar 83), Moxey, Holman (Lolos 55), Lewis.

Subs Not Used: Halstead, Andrews.     

HT 2-0

FT 2-0

Goals: Sablier 17, Sowunmi 36mins. 

Att: 2,523 (324 from Torquay) 

Ref: Gareth Rhodes.