Bromley 1-2 Yeovil Town
Bromley 1-2 Yeovil Town

Bromley’s unbeaten eleven game run in the National League came to an end of Tuesday night when they lost out to their old bogey side Yeovil Town at a very chilly Hayes Lane.

Andy Woodman made two changes to the starting line up with Joe Partington and Billy Bingham coming in for Byron Webster & Liam Trotter.

The Ravens made a positive start to the game with Luke Coulson and Harry Forster looking dangerous down either wing, but it was the visitors who had the first shot on target when Tom Knowles was denied by Mark Cousins.

Chris Bush’s long throws were a feature of the match and from one of them George Alexander saw his header saved by Grant Smith in the visitors’ goal.

As the half went on there were a few heavy challenges, but not much else of note until on 18 minutes a blocked clearance from Omar Sowunmi fell to Knowles who smashed his dipping swerving effort into the far corner of the net from 25 yards out to put The Glovers in front.

Bromley rallied from there and Billy Bingham’s shot was handled right on the edge of the area, but Referee Mr Bishop awarded The Ravens a free kick, from which Michael Cheek hit the wall.

Yeovil slowed the pace of the game down from there for a spell before Alexander headed a great chance wide at the near post from a Sowunmi knock down.

Sonny Blu Lo-Everton and Max Hunt both went close for Yeovil, before Bromley were handed a life line back into the game on 43 minutes when a long Bush throw into the six yard box saw Josh Staunton penalised for holding Sowunmi and Bromley awarded a penalty. 

Cheek smashed home the spot kick to make it 1-1 and from there The Ravens should have seen the half out, but they fell behind again in first half injury time.

Former Bromley man Charlie Wakefield received the ball 30 yards out from goal and was given time and space to set himself before unleashing an unstoppable drive into the top right hand corner of the goal giving Cousins no chance and Yeovil the lead at the break.

The second half was a frustrating affair for Bromley, the game drifted for long spells and too many passes went astray. Yeovil went close again when Luke Wilkinson hit the bar with a free kick, before The Ravens rallied on the hour mark with a series of long throws and free kicks around The Glovers area.

On a rare break up field Knowles sent in a dangerous cross shot that Cousins spilled after being challenged by Adi Yussuf.

With twenty minutes to go Alexander was replaced by Jack Cawley and Sowunmi was sent up front with Cheek & James Alabi.

Cheek & Alabi both missed good chances and Cheek was also denied by Smith with another shot as the pressure mounted. Sowunmi headed a chance over from a set piece and Smith then made a superb one handed save again from a Sowunmi header following a corner.

Yeovil pulled everyone back and dug in for the five minutes of injury time, holding out against the Bromley pressure and picking up three hard earned points. Bromley will now have to re-group ahead of their trip to Wrexham on Saturday. 

Bromley: Cousins, Partington, Bush, Sowunmi, Coulson, Arthurs (Trotter 45), Bingham, Forster, Dennis (Alabi 45), Alexander (Cawley 70), Cheek.

Subs Not Used: Tormey, Sablier. 

Yeovil: Smith Moss, Wilkinson, Worthington, Barnett, Hunt, Staunton, Lo-Everton (Bradley 88), Knowles (Williams 73), Yussuf, Wakefield.

Subs: Not Used: Evans, Haste. 

Goals: BFC – Cheek 43 pen. YTFC- Knowles 18, Wakefield 45mins.

HT 1-2

FT 1-2 

Ref: Mr Tom Bishop