Bromley 1-2 Chesterfield
Bromley 1-2 Chesterfield

Bromley suffered their first defeat under manager Andy Woodman as they were edged out of a tight game by an impressive Chesterfield side at Hayes Lane on Tuesday night, reversing the result from the previous National League game just ten days ago.  

The Ravens went in to the game unchanged from their win at Halifax Town on Saturday and the match got off to a similar start with the opposition doing the early pressing.

Chesterfield put Bromley under early pressure with corners and set pieces, striker Danny Rowe firing just over and Joel Taylor hitting the bar with a volley from a deep George Carline cross.

Bromley settled into the game as the half went on, Joe Kizzi hitting a half volley over the bar and they had a penalty shout when Jack Bridge went down on the edge of the box.

The impressive Taylor again went close for The Spirerites as he cut in from the left and drove the ball across goal, while Kairo Mitchell forced a save from Mark Cousins from close range.

Bridge fired over after a strong for Bromley and they had another good shout for a penalty when Laurence Maguire pulled two handfulls of Alex Mitchell’s shirt as he challenged for a header, but Referee Quelch missed the incident completely.

Then late on Rowe crossed into the box for the visitors and the ball came out to Martin Smith who shot narrowly wide from the edge of the area.

The second half saw Chesterfield start on top again, Taylor setting up Carline whose effort on goal was cleared by Charlie Fox. Carline had another header saved by Cousins before the visitors finally got their break through when Chris Bush slipped in possession in midfield and Jack Clarke raced clear before powerfully driving the ball past Cousins into the net for 1-0.

Bromley rallied after going behind, Jude Arthurs sent in a dangerous ball that Grant Smith clawed away to safety just under the bar, while at the other end Nathan Tyson twisted and turned in the box before his shot was deflected wide off Bush.

With the game wide open Emmanuel Oyeleke made a vital header to deny James Alabi the chance to connect with Bridge’s ball into the area.

Mitchell had a header saved from a Frankie Raymond free kick, before Bromley drew level just after the hour mark when Smith’s poor clearance fell to the youngster who showed great composure to lob the ball back over the Chesterfield keeper and into the unguarded net from 20 yards out to make it 1-1.

Arthurs had signed his first professional contract earlier in the day and this was a fine way to mark the occasion.

Fox headed a Bush long throw just wide as both sides looked to win the game, while Tyson crossed for Carline at the other end, but Cousins was on hand to make the save.

Then with just under fifteen minutes to go Taylor again sent in a great ball from the left was Carline swooped in at the far post to side foot the ball home and give The Spirerites the lead again.

Referee Quelch had to go off injured with ten minutes to go and was replaced by Nicholas Dunne after a lengthy delay.

Bromley pressed in the later stages, Bush had a shot palmed away by Smith, Fox headed a Raymond corner wide and Raymond went close twice, shooting over from range and then forcing a save from Smith after good work by Alabi.

Despite their efforts The Ravens couldn’t find a way through, giving away too many free kicks for infringements when piling the ball into the area during the eight minutes of injury time.

Bromley now have a free Saturday before taking on high flying Hartlepool Utd at Hayes Lane on Bank Holiday Monday and look to get back into the play off places.                                              

Bromley: Cousina, Kizzi, Bush, Mitchell, Fox, Coulson (Raymond 52), Bingham, Arthurs, Bridge, Williamson (Alabi 57), Cheek.

Subs Not Used: Campbell, Trotter, Vincent. 

Chesterfield: G Smith, Maguire, Taylor, Clarke (Whelan 69), Gunning (Yarney 72), Kerr, Carline, M Smith, Mitchell (Tyson 58), Oyeleke, Rowe.

Subs Not Used: Whittle, Manderville.   

Goals; BFC – Arthurs 67. CFC – Clarke 51, Carline 76mins. 

HT 0-0

FT 1-2 

Ref: Adrian Quelch (Nicholas Dunne 80)   

Pictures supplied by Dave Budden.