Bristol Pitbulls 9-7 Invicta Dynamos
Bristol Pitbulls 9-7 Invicta Dynamos

Seven goals scored by Stanislav Lascek (2), Anthony Leone (2), Tom Davis, Ashley Jackson and Juraj Huska were still not enough to prevent a shortbenched Invicta Dynamos slipping to a 9-7 road defeat at the hands of the Bristol Pitublls on Saturday.

The Dynamos iced just 13 players and were missing Ben Clements, Billy Phillips, Tommy Ralph and Matt Foord and took on a home side with a roster of 22.

In the opening period the hosts took the lead less than two minutes in – Thomas Asprey and Bailey Hind-Pitcher claiming assists as Cain Russell beat Owen Rider at 01.58. A hooking penalty on Olly Shone then gifted the Mos a spell with the extra man and they took advantage at 05.25 – Ashley Jackson and Mason Webster combining before Stanislav Lascek converted to tie the game at 1-1.

Towards the end of the frame the Pitbulls claimed a lead again – at 17.34 Mason Lipsey fired over the line with an assist going to Tamas Elias – but again the Mos replied quickly to finish the period all square. At 19.52 Ashley Jackson and Juraj Huska were involved in the build-up as Anthony Leone converted for 2-2.

In the second period tempers flared early on as Brandon Webster and Richie Hargreaves exchanged blows and both players were then kicked out of the tie for resisting the officials as they each sought more. Despite being down a man, the Mos then took the lead for the first and only time – Ashley Jackson and Juraj Huska again involved in the build-up before Tom Davis fired beyond Tyler Perre for 3-2.

Davis’ drive would be the visitors’ last of the frame as they were then dominated by the hosts who went on to add four without reply to turn the tie on its head. At 24.05 Bailey Perre levelled the game at 3-3 following work from Mason Lipsey and, at 29.26, the hosts were then ahead as Olly Shone beat Owen Rider on the powerplay with assists going to Steve Osman and Cain Russell. A one goal deficit became two just 14 seconds later – Joe Morris joining the fast growing list of scorers and Jason Warren and Mason Lipsey claiming points with assists. Bristol’s last of the period came at 35.29 – Loris Taylor on target after work from Bailey Perre and Steve Osman – and it gave them a sizeable 6-3 lead.

Despite facing an uphill task the Mos came out fighting in the last and two early goals put them back in the hunt. At 42.02 Stanislav Lascek reached a Tom Davis pass and converted shorthanded to cut Bristol’s lead to 6-4. At 44.41 it was then 6-5 – Lascek and Ashley Jackson swapping possession before Anthony Leone tallied for his second of the night.

What followed though was a chaotic trading of goals that repeatedly stopped the Dynamos ever being able to pull level. At 46.29 Loris Talyor added his second of the night after a pass from Steve Osman that extended the home side’s lead to 7-5. This was instantly cut to 7-6 at 47.41 – Ashley Jackson sending the puck over the line via the goalie to keep the visitors interested in the tie. At 49.34 Olly Shone added another for the Pitbulls with a powerplay strike that followed work from Steve Osman and Joe Morris. Back down the other end Juraj Huska again cut the lead to one at 52.28 – assists going to Ashley Jackson and Henry Aiken for a goal that made it 8-7. The tie was then finally decided at 52.43 when Joshua Shaw fired beyond Owen Rider unassisted for 9-7 victory.

So it was a chaotic and somewhat bad tempered game after which the Mos returned to Kent without a point to show for their efforts. With a short bench the visitors put up brave resistance but the hosts had too many extra bodies that proved the difference in front of their own fans.