Bridon Ropes 4-2 Welling Town
Bridon Ropes 4-2 Welling Town

As good a start as you could ever wish for sadly didn’t bring the desired full time score for league leaders Welling Town away to Bridon Ropes this afternoon, with the home side securing a crucial 4-2 win.

From kick off Harry Gamble won possession on the edge of the Bridon box and played in right winger Jordan Samuel who shot across the Bridon keeper in to the far corner to make it 1-0 to the away side after little more than 15 seconds.

Bridon soon got going but several good runs off the ball couldn’t quite be found by the man in possession and it was 19 minutes before their first effort on target brought things level. With numerous potential free kicks in both directions going unpunished, it was one that perhaps shouldn’t have been given for a shoulder to shoulder that gave Bridon a dead ball situation 20 yards out, and Richard Jimoh struck his effort around the wall and in to the net.

On 31 minutes Bridon took the lead with a pass in behind freeing Henry Dasofunjo and he slotted under the advancing keeper to make it 2-1.

Before the break Jordan Samuel was in again down the right but he couldn’t quite repeat the right footed strike across the keeper from the first minute to equalise, and the half ended with the home side in front.

Fast out of the blocks in the second half it was all Welling for ten minutes with possession, territory and chances, but Bridon held strong and looked fast and energetic on the break. Inevitable, with Welling not scoring, it was Bridon who countered on the hour mark and with Jack Moore making a great save, the rebound fell fortunately to Richard Jimoh to tap home for his second of the afternoon.

Welling were fortunate to avoid a penalty against them when what appeared an obvious foul was ignored by the referee at 3-1.

With five minutes to go, and a considerable period of added time expected, Welling piled on the pressure, and good play from Sam Bailey on the right gave an opportunity to Ryan Golding who drove home top corner to keep the faint hopes of a comeback alive.

Straight from the kick-off, again Welling attacked, and a cross was not exploited by the usually reliable Harry Gamble and the second attempt was very well saved by the Bridon keeper from Bryan Zepo for a corner.

With nothing to lose deep in to injury time it was all bodies forward, including the keeper, and when nothing came from the set-piece, it was again Bridon who broke and ran the length of the field to walk the ball in to an empty net with their fourth from Jacob Kalonda to give a full-time score of 4-2, when 60 seconds earlier it could so easily of been 3-3.

A great advert for the quality of the SCEFL competition, and a result along with those elsewhere that will keep the end of season promotion places up for grabs right down until the final day.

FT – Bridon Ropes 4-2 Welling Town

Welling Town – Moore, Dylan (Wells 70’), Piro, Patterson (Taylor 70’), Mensah, Hepburn, Samuel, Gamble, Golding, Brown (Zepo 60’), Bailey.

Subs Unused – Couzins, Powell.

Images courtesy of Dave Cumberbatch