Billericay Town 2-1 Welling United
Billericay Town 2-1 Welling United

Defeat at Billericay Town confined Welling United to a second successive defeat

Having pulled level after going behind, Welling were sucker-punched when Billericay scored an injury time penalty despite being down to ten men.

It was tough on Welling who had put in a much better performance than they had in their previous outing.

On debut, Anthony Cook had the first sighter of the night with a shot that was saved comfortably after Gavin McCallum and Bradley Goldberg had combined well.

Charlie Wassmer missed the target with a free header for Billericay before they went ahead after eighteen minutes. There didn’t seem much danger when former Ebbsfleet player Jordan Parkes found some space but his twenty five yard shot arrowed into the top corner giving Dan Wilks no chance.

He then came close again when letting fly from fully forty-five yards but his effort went just over.

Wilks made a great save from Moses Emmanuel before the former Bromley player again went close but shot just wide.

McCallum had a low drive well saved by Alan Julian before Alfie Potter shot wide at the other end.

Making his first start since a long injury lay off, McCallum curled an effort just wide before the Canadian levelled six minutes before the break. Adam Coombes went on a run and picked him out of the right wing and he cut in before firing powerfully into the top corner.

Potter and Matt Rhead both fired over before the interval but the goal appeared to give the Wings a confidence boost and they came out for the second half looking determined.

Goldberg had a header claimed comfortably before Cook worked his way into a good position but could not get his foot around the ball to pick out anyone with his cross.

Rob Swaine headed wide from McCallum’s cross before Emmanuel broke through and dinked it beyond Wilks. However, it had no power and Jay Rich-Baghuelou got back to dribble off the goal line before clearing up field.

Joe Anderson’s cross was half cleared as far as Luke Rooney but his shot was deflected wide.

Parkes and Callum Kennedy both had shots saved comfortably by Wilks before Goldberg dragged a shot just wide after good work by Nathan Green.

Green fired just wide for Welling before Billericay were reduced to ten men when Wassmer was sent off for going over the top and leaving Aaron Cosgrave in a heap.

Strangely, it seemed to boost Billericay rather than hamper them and substitute Jake Robinson had two good chances, first firing over then shooting straight at Wilks.

Just as it appeared that the two teams were going to settle for a point apiece, Emmanuel broke through and was felled on the edge of the penalty area. The referee spoke to his assistant before awarding a penalty which Robinson tucked away to ensure the hosts claimed all three points.

Billericay Town: Julian, Robson, Kennedy, Wassmer, Henry, Potter, Emmanuel (90+), Loft (Waldren 78), Ramsay (Robinson 68), Parkes, Rhead.

Subs not used: Eyong, Tamplin.

Goalscorers: Parkes (18), Robinson pen (90+)

Yellow cards: None

Red cards: Wassmer

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Anderson, Copeland, Swaine, Rich-Baghuelou, Cook, Rooney, Goldberg (Cosgrave 77), Coombes (Oyinsan 74), McCallum (Green 61).

Subs not used: Okosieme, Agyemang.

Goalscorers: McCallum (39)

Yellow cards: Copeland

Red cards: None

Referee: Steven Hughes

Assistants: Christopher Horsman and Jack Wilmore

Attendance: 890