Bearsted 1-2 Abbey Rangers
Bearsted 1-2 Abbey Rangers

Bearsted’s dream of getting to Wembley disappeared after an excellent performance despite being down to ten men for 82 minutes.

Abbey Rangers are through to the next round but they know that they were lucky as Bearsted took the game to them and had chances to win.

Bearsted nearly had the dream start when in the first minute a corner into the area saw a Abbey Rangers defender head goal wards, being saved the embarrassment of an own goal by a clearance off the line.

The game ebbed and flowed, in the  26th minute Abbey Rangers had their first chance of the game when George Davis saw his shot from 20 yards fly just past the post.

In the very next minute Jon Rogers low cross found Cameron Croucher, from 15 yards his shot was deflected forcing keeper Liam Stone to tip over the bar.

In the 34th minute Elliott Firth found himself in the area, his low shot was saved by Scott Andrews. In the 37th minute Bearsted nearly took the lead when a corner into the area saw Rob Lyall’s flicked header go just past the post but in the next minute disaster struck Bearsted as Lyall was booked for the second time and was sent off, now could Bearsted keep the score goal less up to half time and then reorganise.

However, in the 44th minute Scott Andrews poor pass out went straight to Alex Hendrie who ran into the area, shot past him. The half time whistle went leaving the Bearsted management had to reorganize, reinstall belief in their players that they could score and maybe even win. The Abbey Rangers management team would want more of the same, with a man advantage should go on and win.

The second half saw Bearsted control the half leaving many fans round the ground asking the question as to which team had the ten men?

With 48 minutes on the clock, Bearsted had a glorious chance to equalise when Bessey-Saldanho on the right crossed into the area, the ball fell to Peter Williams eight yards out but unopposed he blazed his shot over the bar.

In the 58th minute Rangers nearly put the game to rest when Firth go to the by-line crossed to the back post for Hendrie whose downward header was saved by Scott Andrews leg, with then the ball being cleared.

Two minutes later another counter attack saw Sean Bradley run at the Bearsted defence before seeing his curling effort from 20 yards go just over the bar.

Bearsted kept plugging away, with time running out everyone thought they would not get the equaliser that they deserved. With time running out Greame Andrews had other ideas when on the edge of the area he took his time before shooting from 18 yards out and finding the back of the net. The crowd erupted in celebration but could they go on and win the game?

In the 87th minute Bessey-Saldanho on the right got to the by-line, crossed into the area for Rogers, his shot from 15 yards was tipped over the bar by Stone. The full time whistle went and Extra time beckoned.

Extra time started, the first half chance came in the 91st minute when a free kick into the Bearsted area was half cleared to Bradley Thomas who from 20 yards shot wide.

Bearsted continued to be on the front foot without really creating chances, their luck went against them in the 100th minute when Rogers on the edge of the area saw his shot hit his own player Reece Collins and loop into the hands of Stone.

Rangers provided a sucker punch in the 107th minute when in a breakaway Hendrie running towards goal passed sideways for Danny Hartlebury who side footed in from 8 yards.

This completely shook Bearsted, they tried their best to get a second equaliser but to no avail and their tremendous FA Vase run came to a heroic end, but in getting to the fourth round they did accrue £4,200 in prize money.


  1. S.Andrews     2. M.Weller (111)   3. C.Croucher   4.  G.Andrews  5. R.Lyall  6. J.Rogers (108)
  2. J.Bessey-Saldanho (111) 8.    M.Garner   9. P.Williams (75)   10. D.Baronowski (45)  11. L.Scarlat

Subs Used:  12. A.Forster (45)   14. R.Collins (75)  S.Flisher (108)  C.Scarlat (111)

Sub Not Used:  Mat Hathaway

Bookings:  5. R.Lyall (30, 38)    12. A.Foster (60)  6. J.Rogers (68)  2. M.Weller (90+2)

Sent Off:  R.Lyall (38 Two Bookings )

Abbey Rangers:

  1. Stone 2. D.Wood (73)   4. J. Macklin    5. A.Hendrie (114)  6. T.Bentley  7. E.Firth 8. B.Thomas
  2. S.Bradley (90+3) 13. R.Kersley  16. B.Kersley   17. G.Davis (77)

Subs Used:  15. L.Robertson (73)  11. M.Carey (77)  10.  D.Hartlebury (90+3)   18. L.Muldowney (114)

Sub Not Used:  12. H.Taylor

Bookings:   6.T.Bentley (54)   13.R.Kersley (87)

Referee:  Mr K.Sear

Assistants: Mr E.Robinson  & Mr J.Gray

4th Official:  Mr L.Wood

Images courtesy of Tony Wicker