KSN are proud to support:

Aveley 2-2 Welling United
Aveley 2-2 Welling United

Ten men Welling United defied the odds to claim a hard earned point at Aveley.

Going in at half time away to the team who were fourth in the league a goal down, a player down, and with an outfield player in goal, few would have given Welling hope of getting anything out of the game. However, they out-foxed the hosts in the second period and a draw was the least that they deserved.

Dominic Odusanya had the first goal effort for the Wings with a cleanly hit shot that was claimed by Aveley goalkeeper Jonathan North before a deflected Joe Gbode cross at the other end was met by Alex Hernandez who couldn’t get any power on it and Reice Charles-Cook claimed comfortably.

Josh Chambers picked out Kain Adom with a free kick but he was unable to guide his header on target. With just over ten minutes to go before half time, Welling went ahead. Although Siju Odelusi won the ball, the referee must have deemed that the flying challenge on Chambers was dangerous and a penalty was awarded. Tristan Abrahams stepped up and fired home.

However, parity was restored in another moment of high controversy. Charles-Cook charged out and brought down Manny Ogunrinde and a penalty was awarded. The referee consulted his assistant and dismissed the Welling goalkeeper, presumably believing that he wasn’t attempting to play the ball. Anthony Grant took the goalkeeper’s shirt but went the wrong way as Odelusi converted.

Antony Papadopoulos then came on as a substitute, with Chambers sacrificed, and he took over in goal. He caught a Hernandez shot before conceding just before the break. Ogunrinde looked to pull it back from the bye-line but noticed Papadopoulos slightly off his line and rolled it in via the far post.

At half time, Danny Bloor brought on Amadou Kassarate for Jephte Tanga to bolster the midfield. 

Captain Harry Gibbs came close to making it three-one with a header from a corner but TJ Bramble was on hand to head off the line. However, the expected onslaught didn’t materialise and having looked dangerous on the break, Welling levelled. Papadopoulos launched a long ball up-field and Adom went clear. North rushed out and left himself in no man’s land allowing Adom to go past him and roll it in off the far post.

Grant whistled a shot just beyond the far post before Eduino Vaz fired well over for the hosts. Adom went for one of his specials from twenty-five yards but his shot flew narrowly wide with North struggling to get across.

Finally, Aveley did manage to test the emergency Welling goalkeeper with a high diagonal cross but Papadopoulos claimed it brilliantly despite being put under pressure in a crowded area,

Another slick break ended with Odusanya firing just over but that turned out to be the last opportunity for either side. 

On Saturday, Welling take a break from league action when entertaining Brackley Town in the F.A. Trophy. 

Aveley: North, Cochrane, Vaz, Odelusi, Jones, Gibbs, Ogunrinde, Eze (Dada 82), Gbode (Hughes 71), Hernandez (Brown 82), Kyei.

Subs not used: Davis, Ring.

Goalscorers: Odelusi pen (42), Ogunrinde (45+1)

Yellow cards: Vaz, North, Eze, Odelusi, Kyei

Welling United: Charles-Cook, Orji, Green, Grant, Byrd, Bramble, Tanga (Kassarate 46), Odusanya, Abrahams, Chambers (Papadopoulos 43), Adom.

Subs not used: Sekajja, Howard, Muwonge.

Goalscorers: Abrahams pen (34), Adom (58)

Yellow card: Arnold (coach), Green, Abrahams

Red card: Charles-Cook

Referee: Michael Robertson-Tant

Assistants: Andrew Tregoning and Darren Brockwell

Attendance: 361

Picture supplied by Dave Budden.